UFC star Conor McGregor is no longer facing criminal charges in Florida for allegedly smashing and stealing a man’s phone in March.
Miami prosecutors dropped one charge of felony robbery and one of misdemeanor criminal mischief during a hearing on Monday, ESPN confirmed. According to the Miami Herald, prosecutors said in court that the charges were dropped after the victim stopped cooperating.
Last month, the accuser in the incident, 22-year-old Ahmed Abdirzak, dropped a civil suit against McGregor. The London-based man had sought more than $15,000 in damages.
McGregor, 30, was arrested on March 11 after police said he grabbed Abdirzak’s phone while the man was trying to take his picture outside a Miami hotel. Police said McGregor then stomped on the phone several times, before picking it up and leaving with it. McGregor was released that same day on $5,000 bond.
Later that month, The New York Times reported McGregor was under investigation for an alleged sexual assault in his native Dublin in December. McGregor has not been charged with a crime in that matter.
McGregor (21-4) remains the most popular fighter in the UFC, despite just one appearance in the past two years. He abruptly announced his retirement in March, but has since dropped hints he intends to fight again. He suffered a submission defeat to lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov in October in Las Vegas.
Source: Read Full Article