Browns QB Baker Mayfield reached out to Giants’ Daniel Jones to ‘clear the air’ on remark

Cleveland Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield said he reached out to New York Giants quarterback Daniel Jones to address comments he made in a story published by GQ Magazine on Tuesday.

Mayfield told GQ: “I cannot believe the Giants took Daniel Jones. It blows my mind” but later posted on Instagram to say that he felt his comments were taken out of context. In his first press conference since the interview ran, Mayfield elaborated further.

“It had nothing to do, specifically, about Daniel, about the winning and stuff,” Mayfield said Wednesday. “I’ve reached out to Daniel because all of that blew way out of hand and I wanted him to know how I felt. I’ve heard nothing but great things from (Giants running back) Saquon (Barkley) and (Giants receiver) Sterling Shepherd, guys that have a lot of respect for him, and I respect their opinion. So I just wanted to clear the air with him.”

Mayfield said Jones was “cordial” after he reached out to him yesterday through text message.

NFL: Cowboys send message with Jaylon Smith extension

MORE: More than ever, Eagles need Carson Wentz to find a way to stay on the field

Mayfield said he wasn’t blindsided by the GQ interview, but “completely forgot” about having had the conversation about Jones.

Both Jones and Giants head coach Pat Shurmur downplayed Mayfield’s comments, with Jones saying he has “a lot to focus on here."

New York selected Jones No. 6 overall in the first round of April’s draft, prompting many to question whether the Giants reached for the former Duke quarterback. Since then, Jones has played very well in the preseason, completing 16 of 19 passes for 228 yards and two touchdowns with no interceptions, though he has lost two fumbles in two games.

Mayfield was taken No. 1 overall in the 2018 draft and excelled after he took over the Browns' starting job.

“First, I’ll say that this is the one and only time I’ll address this issue,” Mayfield said. “Because the interview was done back in April right after the draft. It was just things taken out of context. That’s the problem with today’s day and age. You don’t read the whole thing. You don’t put two and two together. You just kind of read the (transcripts) and people combine sentences from different conversations. So it seemed very disrespectful and I can understand that.

“But what people don’t realize is that the conversation entailed me saying that I was surprised I was drafted No. 1 overall, too, and then me going on a rant after that about QB evaluation and frustration from recruiting processes and stuff that it’s very well-documented, my thoughts on a lot of that.”

Follow Lorenzo Reyes on Twitter @LorenzoGReyes.

Source: Read Full Article