‘Fury says I’m not a champion… but we have the same amount of world heavyweight title defences – zero’: Eddie Hearn urges Gypsy King to ‘concentrate on his own career’ after he called Antony Joshua’s promoter a ‘southern w****r’
- Eddie Hearn claimed he and Gypsy King Tyson Fury have one thing in common
- Hearn compared his lack of world heavyweight title defences to Fury’s own
- Fury had called the promoter a ‘souther w****r’ in an interview with Gary Neville
- The 33-year-old’s bout with Deontay Wilder will be his first world belt defence
Eddie Hearn believes he and Tyson Fury have one thing in common – they both have zero heavyweight title defences.
Fury jokingly branded the promoter a ‘southern w****r’ in a sit down with Gary Neville earlier this week and Hearn delivered the perfect cutting retort.
The Matchroom Boxing boss was keen to point out that Fury’s trilogy contest clash against American foe Deontay Wilder will be the first time the 33-year-old has defended one of his world belts.
Promoter Eddie Hearn has slammed Tyson Fury’s lack of world heavyweight title defences
The Gypsy King (right) called Hearn a ‘southern w****r’ in a sit down with Gary Neville (left)
He told Boxing Social: ‘[Fury] says I’m not a champion, I’m just a businessman – well obviously.
‘But he and I have one thing in common: we both have the same amount of world heavyweight title defences, which is zero.
‘He should concentrate on his own career and try to build on the great work he’s done, and create a legacy with championship defences. And I hope he beats Deontay Wilder.’
Fury’s first world title came in 2015 against Wladimir Klitschko, before he took time out to recover from mental health and addiction issues.
He finally won the WBC belt in February last year after he dethroned Wilder with a one-sided win inside seven rounds, but has not fought since.
Fury hasn’t fought since finally winning the WBC belt against Deontay Wilder in February 2020
The war of words between the pair began to brew when the Gypsy King’s unification bout with Anthony Joshua collapsed to allow Fury’s trilogy fight with Wilder to go ahead.
On his feud with Hearn, the Brit told Neville: ‘I love to terrorise Eddie because he loves to talk s**t about people that he’s got nothing to do with.
‘All Eddie Hearn’s ever done is talk rubbish about me because he knows it gets him hits and viewing figures in interviews.
Joshua is the the WBA, IBF, WBO and IBO world champion but is missing Fury’s WBC world title
‘At the end of the day, what has he ever achieved in his life? He’s never been a boxer. He goes around like he’s world heavyweight champion but he ain’t. He’s just a businessman.’
Both Fury and Joshua are now in training camp for upcoming fights. Fury is facing American foe Deontay Wilder in a trilogy contest on October 9, while Joshua is taking on Oleksandr Usyk on September 25.
Hearn mocked Fury’s upcoming Las Vegas bout, claiming that the fight could be on the verge of being postponed again.
Fury is in training camp ahead of a trilogy fight against Deontay Wilder (right) in Las Vegas
The clash was originally scheduled for the summer of 2020 before the Covid pandemic shut down all boxing for the best part of a year.
The fight was then rescheduled for July 24 after Wilder successful brought an arbitration case to stop a Fury v Joshua title fight happening.
Following a coronavirus outbreak among the Fury camp, the bout finally looks set to take place in October.
But 42-year-old Hearn claimed that the fighters were struggling to fill the 20,000-capacity arena with ‘zero hype’ surrounding the event.
Wilder and Fury will finally face each other again in October after postponement due to Covid
He asked: ‘Is that fight even happening?
‘We are about to announce our next America show for 16 October and that’s only six weeks away and it’s tight but it’s not as big a card as Fury vs Wilder 3 should be.
‘They have sold no tickets and there is absolutely zero hype around the fight. I am sure, if it happens, that people will turn on and watch it – but no one is flying to Vegas.
‘I reckon 75 per cent of the people that went to the second fight were Brits who had flown over and normal fans cannot do that now.’
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article