Floyd Mayweather told Logan Paul and 50 Cent plans are "ruining his legacy"

The Daily Star’s FREE newsletter is spectacular! Sign up today for the best stories straight to your inbox

Floyd Mayweather is “ruining his legacy” by entertaining farcical exhibition bouts against Logan Paul and 50 Cent, says world lightweight champion Teofimo Lopez.

Mayweather, widely considered one of the greatest fighters of all time, is set to return to boxing for a lucrative exhibition against YouTube sensation Paul later this year.

The former five-weight world champion has also opened the door to facing his brother Jake at some point in the future, while a clash with former best friend turned rival 50 Cent has even been mooted.

His exhibition plans have not gone down well with Lopez, who produced one of the upsets of 2020 by dethroning lightweight king Vasiliy Lomachenko back in October of last year.

The unified world champion believes Mayweather, who retired in 2017 with a perfect 50-0 record, is sullying his reputation in the sport by fighting novice celebrities.

“Floyd man, you’re ruining your legacy,” Lopez told SiriusXM.

“It’s a damn shame to see it all happen like that. I love Floyd, man. I looked up to him.

“My idol turned into my rival but I love him. He did a huge thing.”

Lopez has been highly critical of the new wave of YouTube stars trying their hand at boxing in recent years, taking to Twitter to slam promoters for “diminishing the sport”.

“Stop this YouTuber Boxing. Stop diminishing the sport that we’ve worked so hard for! S*** not sweet,” he wrote.

Top trending sport stories right now

  • Gazza had gun to head in toilet
  • Butt sells £5.5m Cheshire mansion
  • Commentator axed for 'going for a jobby'
  • Where is Eva Carneiro now?
  • “In order for us to bring Boxing back to its fullest we have to fight the fights that are 50/50 competition. This is a PSA to all the promoters and fighters.

    “Quit being prideful and make the fights happen! IT’S NOT HARD. Promoters stop trying to make more money than the fighters.”

    Mayweather was originally scheduled to lock horns with Paul, 18 years his junior, in a pay-per-view exhibition on February 20.

    However, the bout has since been postponed due to reported disputes over where it will be held as well as finances.

    Paul insists his showdown with the boxing legend will still go ahead at some point in 2021, saying on his YouTube channel: “The fight's still happening [but] we want to have a packed arena somewhere and then the business side of things, we have to iron them out.

    READ MORE: Ballboy who Eden Hazard kicked is now successful businessman with Floyd Mayweather links

    READ MORE: Floyd Mayweather's four-fight plan for 2021 – with Logan Paul, 50 Cent and more on agenda

    • Floyd Mayweather
    • Logan Paul

    Source: Read Full Article