Anthony Joshua tells Tyson Fury he will be ‘ready in December’ for title fight
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Tyson Fury has denied claims that the long-awaited bust-up between him and Anthony Joshua is his career ‘glamour fight’. The Mancunian says Deontay Wilder takes the mantle and that the AJ bout is ‘like a Sunday roast’ – ‘it’s only respected in England’.
Fury and Joshua recently attempted to make the all-British showdown for December 3 after failing to get it over the line last year. At first, negotiations appeared to be going well. But communication dropped at the eleventh hour, spelling an end to the fight’s chances.
In Joshua’s place, Derek Chisora was drafted in as a replacement opponent for the same date. Many were left deflated by the news and there has been a heavy push for both parties to attempt to make the fight happen again.
However, when Fury was asked about the fight’s importance, The Gypsy King downplayed the encounter.
MORE BOXING NEWS…
Joshua given renewed hope of world title shot versus Wilder
Mayweather commended for giving Deji ‘touch of reality’ after stoppage
Joshua receives fresh training offer after ‘free spirit’ comment
“No, there’s no glamour in fighting a coward, none,” Fury told the Queensbury Promotion’s YouTube channel. “I don’t fight cowards; I only fight real men. So, to say that’s a glamour fight? No way. My glamour fight was fighting the 43-0 (40-0 at the time of their first fight) Deontay Wilder in America. That was my glamour fight.
“The first time two heavyweight champions have fought each other while being undefeated since Ali fought Frazier the first time. That’s my glamour fight. This other bum fight over here with Joshua was a bit like a Sunday roast, people over here only respect it in England and Usyk will be a walk in the park, I’ll butcher him.”
The Joshua-Fury fight appears to be way off the mark at this stage. Fury is most interested in the legacy-defining undisputed fight with Oleksandr Usyk for all-four major sanctioning body belts.
That contest recently had a spanner thrown in the works when the IBF ordered the Ukrainian to defend his strap against mandatory challenger Filip Hrgovic. With Hrgovic requesting an immediate purse bid Usyk’s team are unable to negotiate a step-aside fee and is now left with the tough decision to either defend or vacate.
If Usyk chooses to defend then Fury has affirmed that he will face Joe Joyce in early 2023 instead.
He added: “Let me wrap this up nice and quick, if Usyk don’t want no smoke in February, then let’s do Joyce at Wembley. Joe, get your skates on, get fit mush because if the middleweight don’t want no smoke you’re in because I’m fighting three times next year and you can be one of them.”
Source: Read Full Article