Gervonta Davis says he's 'not a MONSTER' amid domestic violence arrest

Gervonta Davis says he’s ‘not a MONSTER’ and claims the allegations he struck a woman with a ‘closed hand-type slap’ are ‘bulls***’ as he breaks silence in now-deleted Instagram post

  • Gervonta Davis was arrested on a domestic violence charge on Tuesday 
  • He was released on bail Wednesday and denied he had ‘put my hands’ on anyone
  • Davis was shortly due to fight Hector Garcia for the WBA regular lightweight title
  • The victim has not been identified, but police say she does not live with Davis 
  • TGB Promotions, which is staging the event, have not commented on the arrest
  • Click here for all your latest international Sports news from DailyMail.com 

Lightweight boxer Gervonta Davis has spoken out, insisting ‘I am not a monster’, after being arrested for domestic violence Tuesday.

Davis broke his silence a day following the arrest, and just hours after his release from jail, defiantly rejecting allegations he had hit a woman with a ‘close hand-type slap.’   

He said in a lengthy post on his Instagram profile, which has since been deleted: ‘I NEVER PUT MY HANDS ON MY CHILD MOTHER NOR MY F***ING DAUGHTER ARE YOU F****** CRAZY!!’

‘I’M NOT A MONSTER,’ he added in the now-deleted post. A photo of Davis’s young daughter was posted as he went on to say that he had been watching Frozen with his family ‘moments’ before an argument ensued with the mother of his child.

Davis was arrested in Florida on a domestic violence charge after allegedly striking a woman with a ‘closed hand-type slap’ and leaving her with an abrasion on her lip, according to a Broward County Sheriff’s Office incident report. 

Davis went on something of a rant in his lengthy Instagram statement, accusing the alleged victim of making a money-grab. 

Gervonta Davis took to Instagram following release from jail Wednesday to deny wrongdoing

‘I’ve been quiet for too long. I don’t have media team, PR, good lawyer…spokesman nothing off that… that’s the only reason I’m doing this now! Just to clear my name!

‘[I] have a f***ing helicopter flying over my house now as I write this because they look at this s*** as money to them and trying to get as much money as possible.’

Davis also dismissed a recording of the alleged victim’s 911 call, which has been released by TMZ: ‘He’s going to kill me!… I need help, please! I’m trying to go home. I have my baby in the car, and he attacked me in front of the kid. And, now he’s messing up my tires!’ 

In his statement, Davis strongly rebuked the allegations heard in the call.   

‘They doing this for money to and also to destroy me!! I am not a monster,’ Davis said. ‘I have two beautiful daughters that have to grow up someday and see this bulls***!! They post this bulls*** world wide before anything!

Gervonta Davis was arrested on alleged domestic violence charges in Florida on Tuesday

‘They even post a snippet of the police call which my child mother was crying on the phone because I wouldn’t give her my truck! Shaderoom, gossipinthecity itonsite and the rest of the internet blogs! Y’all all bad for the culture!! [sic]

‘Y’all don’t care if it true or false…he did or didn’t…y’all just want to put it out there because it’s beneficial to y’all businesses! 

The victim’s name was not listed in the incident report provided to DailyMail.com. However, it does state that she and the WBA lightweight champion have a child together, although they do not cohabitate. 

Davis remained in custody after Wednesday’s hearing, where bail was set at $1,000. Though he was released later in the day after bail was posted. He faces a misdemeanor domestic violence charge of battery causing bodily harm, according to Broward County Sheriff’s Office records. 

One of the leading lights in boxing, Davis was set to defend his WBA (regular) lightweight title against Hector Garcia on January 7, in what was considered a tune-up bout ahead of a mouthwatering clash with long-time rival Ryan Garcia (23-0) in April. However, both fights are now at risk after the undefeated 28-year-old was arrested in Fort Lauderdale. 

Gervonta Davis’ full statement

Do not let these people misguide you all on this bulls***…this was just yesterday moments before me and my child mother had argument! Watching Frozen with my oldest daughter…I never put my hands on my child mother nor my f***ing daughter are you f***ing crazy!! 

I’m not a monster I been quiet for too long. I don’t have media team, PR, good lawyer…spokesman nothing off that…that’s the only reason I’m doing this now! 

Just to clear my name! I been doing this s*** on my own since I started this s***! These people done put out so much stuff aired this everywhere and have a f***ing helicopter flying over my house now as I write this because they look at this s*** as money to them and trying to get as much money as possible…

They rush to my child mother offering her 50k just to pressure charges…like they did with my first child mother, so bad they couldn’t get her so they got a lady they calmed [sic] she was into the mess also a lady that known for suiting [sic] people for money reason…they got her!

Which I have to pay 300k to and I didn’t lay a finger on her or even know what this lady looks like! They doing this for money to and also to destroy me!! I am not a monster, I have two beautiful daughters that have to grow up someday and see this bulls***!! They post this bulls*** world wide before anything!

They even post a snippet of the police call which my child mother was crying on the phone because I wouldn’t give her my truck! Shaderoom, gossipinthecity itonsite and the rest of the internet blogs! Y’all all bad for the culture!!

Y’all don’t care if it true or false…he did or didn’t…y’all just want to put it out there because it’s beneficial to y’all businesses! 

The arrest also calls into question Davis’ proposed bout with rival Ryan Garcia (above) in April

PBC, Davis’ promoter, declined to comment to DailyMail.com. Neither TGB Promotions, which is staging the event, nor Davis’ US broadcaster, Showtime, has made any comment on his arrest or what it could mean for the upcoming fight. 

However, the fight with Garcia, 24, was also threatened by the legal battle Davis (27-0 with 25 knockouts) faces in Baltimore on a hit-and-run allegation. His trial in that case is set to start on February 16 in Baltimore Circuit Court.

Davis faces 14 charges relating to an alleged hit-and-run accident in the early hours of November 5, 2020 in which injured four people. If he is convicted, he could face more than four years in prison. 

In February of 2020, Davis was charged with misdemeanor battery over an incident in which he was seen ‘battering his former girlfriend,’ according to police in Coral Gables, Florida. 

That case was discharged on December 13, but viral video did emerge, showing the 5-foot-7 lightweight grabbing a woman near her neck at a basketball game and dragging her off camera.  

Davis did acknowledge the video, but denied striking the woman. 

The former prodigy of boxing icon Floyd Mayweather left Money’s promotion company last week.

Despite his legal issues, Davis is known as one of boxing’s most devastating punchers, with a knockout-to-win percentage of 93 percent. In his brief career, Davis has knocked out headliners such as Leo Santa Cruz, Mario Barrios, and Jose Pedraza. 

The undefeated boxing star (right) was set to defend his WBA (regular) lightweight title against Hector Garcia in Washington D.C. on January 7, 2023, but that fight is now under threat

Source: Read Full Article