Eddie Hearn confident a date and venue for Anthony Joshua vs Tyson Fury will be confirmed by the end of next week after promoter embarked on a world tour to finalise offers for £200m summer showdown
- Eddie Hearn says that a date and venue for AJ v Tyson Fury will be set next week
- The promoter has been on a world tour to find a site for the £200m showdown
- The Middle East remains the frontrunner, while the US and Asia are possibilities
- Hearn is not ruling Wembley out, but said it is very unlikely at present
Eddie Hearn is confident a date and venue for this summer’s showdown between Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury will be confirmed by the end of next week.
The Matchroom promoter remained tight-lipped on the details of where July’s undisputed heavyweight title fight could land but he said: ‘I think end of next week it will be done.’
Joshua-Fury moved a step closer last month, when both sides signed contracts covering the finer points of a two-fight deal.
Eddie Hearn says a date and venue for Joshua v Fury should be confirmed by end of next week
Joshua (left) and Fury (right) are set to meet for undisputed heavyweight crown this summer
That prompted a gold-rush to find a venue that could help fund the £200million clash amid the uncertainty of Covid-19.
Hearn has embarked on a ‘world tour’ to finalise offers, with the Middle East still the most likely destination due to its ability to pay the biggest site fees.
Operators in Saudi Arabi, Qatar and Dubai have all held talks with Hearn, while there is also interest from Singapore, China and the US. Wembley Stadium remains an outside possibility.
Eddie Hearn has embarked on a world tour in a bid to find a site for the summer showdown
‘The world tour is going well but I’m not answering any questions on that and I won’t tell you where I’ve been,’ Hearn said on Friday.
‘But talks have progressed extremely well and we’re closing in on securing the venue and there will be an announcement in due course. We’re at the stage where it’s probably best not to say much more than that.’
Hearn and Fury’s co-promoter Bob Arum gave themselves a three-week deadline to clear these final – but significant hurdles.
The Middle East remains the frontrunner, while Wembley holds a slim chance of hosting
‘We always had a time-frame in place in the agreement that everybody signed. That can be extended but it’s not the intention to extend it and we are all working to that time-frame… we can’t wait.
‘AJ has started his training camp and Fury has been training very hard. They all want the fight. They are going to be presented with a few proposals on where to do the fight and everyone has to agree on where to do it. There is no other fight out there that comes close for either guy. July is the date.’
This country’s successful vaccination rollout means the door remains slightly ajar for the all-British fight to be held in the UK. But it remains very unlikely, with Hearn adding: ‘Wembley is not out of the running but, having spoken to them, they have to be in a situation where they need full capacity and their first job is trying to get that for the Euros. If we can be guaranteed that it may enter some discussion but I don’t think so.’
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article