‘It’s ridiculous’: Paul Gallen makes angry phone call over promotional poster

Aussie boxer Paul Gallen has made an angry phone call to a promoter after learning of a promotional poster being used to spruik his fight with Justis Huni.

Just days after the battle between the Australian heavyweight champion and Gallen was confirmed, Gallen has made a second demand that could derail the highly-anticipated showdown.

Gallen is first reported to have threatened to pull out of the multimillion-dollar fight when it emerged promoter Dean Lonergan was considering moving the event to Queensland.

The 39-year-old rugby league legend has now blown up at the news the fight is being sold to fans as “Termination Day” in a poster that depicts Huni as the Terminator that can end Gallen’s career.

The undefeated fighter has received huge paydays against Barry Hall, Mark Hunt and Lucas Browne, but defeat at the hands of Huni would likely be the end of the road. The fight comes with a reported $1.5m windfall for the former NSW State of Origin fighter.

Despite that figure, Gallen is prepared to walk away.

The Daily Telegraph first reported Gallen will not accept the poster, admitting he made a phone call to Lonergan demanding it be changed.

Paul Gallen is furious about this promotional poster for his heavyweight bout against champion Justis Huni.Source:Supplied

Paul Gallen destroyed Lucas Browne.Source:Getty Images

He said he is prepared to “cancel” the fight over the issue.

“I can guarantee you this is not the poster we will be using for the fight, it’s ridiculous,” Gallen said.

“He’s trying to pump his client but this bloke does not need a leg up every single time. When I first saw it I thought, ‘I don’t care’. But Dean Lonergan has been so difficult to deal with every step of the way, I’m going to dig my heels in and make him change it.

“Why can’t he just be an adult and keep his word? He’s being childish.”

Paul Gallen faces his toughest test against Justis Huni.Source:Getty Images

Gallen last week won his squabble with Lonergan for the fight to remain in Sydney after it was first revealed the preferred destination of the Hordern Pavilion was not available as a result of the fight being brought forward three weeks.

The fight is now booked in for the Sydney’s International Convention Centre on June 16 after Lonergan was reported to have considered staging the fight in Brisbane or the Gold Coast.

The fight was initially scheduled for June 25, but with Huni set to represent Australia at the Olympics, it was moved forward to June 16 to ensure the 22-year-old amateur champion is fit for the Tokyo Games.

Lonergan responded to Gallen by telling the athlete to worry about his preparation for the fight.

“He’s kidding himself, I’ve been in the promotional business for 25 years, I don’t appreciate the input of a former footballer who has no marketing experience whatsoever,” Lonergan said.

Source: Read Full Article