Ricky Hatton exhibition bout rescheduled with boxing icon "gutted"

Ricky Hatton has admitted he's "gutted" after his boxing return against Marco Antonio Barrera was rescheduled to November.

The Hitman was due to make his comeback to the ring in an exhibition bout at the AO Arena in Manchester on July 2. But the event was postponed earlier this week after Hughie Fury pulled out with an illness.

Fury was set to headline the Sky Sports portion of the card, which was going to be followed by the Hitman Rises section headlined by the man himself. As the broadcast partner, Sky have put the whole thing back to November 12.

Reacting to the news in a statement posted to his social media, Hatton said: "I wish Hughie a speedy recovery but I'm obviously gutted as I have been training so hard for this event.

"But I'll take a little break and be back fitter and stronger for the new date with the fans. We've all waited a long time for this, so I hope the fans can be a little bit more patient so we can be back with a bigger and better show In November."

Are you backing Hatton to win? Let us know in the comments section below

The 43-year-old had lost 40lbs during his 15-week training camp. Prior to the postponement, he told The Telegraph: "I was 14 [stone] six and I’m 12 two now, I’ve lost that in seven weeks which is incredible.

"I don’t think I did that when I was fighting but I was always good at losing the weight."

Former world champion Hatton had been training with son Campbell in the build-up to his return. His team have said they're committed to their working relationship with Sky for the event, which will also see Dan Hardy take on Diego Sanchez on the undercard.

Source: Read Full Article