A traditional Colorado high school football power will not play its season opener after a player tested positive for coronavirus.
Mullen canceled its first game of the fall season on Friday, coach Jeremy Bennett confirmed to the Denver Post, with the team currently in a two-week quarantine that does not lift until Thursday. Bennett said the player who tested COVID-19 positive was asymptomatic and is currently in good health.
Colorado prep football teams and players must complete nine full practices to be eligible to play in games this season, per CHSAA guidelines. Mullen, slated to face Legend in Week 1, will forfeit the game as a no-contest that will not count against its record.
“It’s unfortunate,” Bennett said. “We all want to think that because they (CHSAA) said we could play that it will go off without a hitch. We weren’t the first team that it happened to and we’re definitely not going to be the last. … Everyone is doing fine, the coaching staff and the players. We’re just chomping at the bit to get back after it.”
Legend, alerted early last week that its Week 1 game would be canceled, rescheduled to play against Mesa Ridge — whose first opponent, Widefield, is also dealing with a coronavirus outbreak at its school.
“All of us have to be really flexible,” Legend coach Monte Thelen told The Denver Post. “That’s one of the challenges of this fall season. Things have changed multiple times, obviously, and you just have to be able to persevere.”
Mullen’s next game is scheduled for Oct. 15 against Ralston Valley. KDVR-TV first reported Mullen’s Week 1 game cancelation.
Source: Read Full Article