REVEALED: Khabib Nurmagomedov was UFC’s top earner in 2020 after pocketing £4.7MILLION for his retirement fight with Justin Gaethje, while Conor McGregor made £2.4m for beating Donald Cerrone in just 40 seconds – but who else makes the top 10?
- A full salary list of what the UFC’s top fighters earned in 2020 has been revealed
- Khabib Nurmagomedov was the company’s top earner after pocketing £4.7m
- Russian earned the mammoth sum in his retirement fight against Justin Gaethje
- Conor McGregor was the second highest earner with a cool £2.4m prizepot
- The Irishman beat Donald Cerrone in 40 seconds to secure the huge payday
A full salary list of what the UFC’s top fighters earned in 2020 has been revealed, with the now-retired Khabib Nurmagomedov topping the charts as the MMA’s highest-paid star.
The Russian pocketed the eye-watering sum in his retirement fight against Justin Gaethje where he secured a second-round submission over the American before announcing it would be his last fight as a result of his father’s death earlier in the year.
As reported by Sportsmail back in October, the breakdown of Khabib’s earnings is listed as £4,666,767 purse, £40,000 Performance of the Night bonus and £40,000 fight week incentive pay.
Khabib Nurmagomedov was the UFC’s top earner in 2020 after pocketing £4.7million
Conor McGregor (left) came second in the list, while Israel Adesanya (right) made the top five
Despite the outbreak of the coronavirus which forced the world into lockdown, UFC supremo Dana White pushed forward with staging fights in a safe manner, and it appears to have paid off for those inside the octagon.
According to MMABreakdown, the average UFC fighter made £133,500 last year, which was up from the average earnings of £132,400 – even with the pandemic causing chaos in the world of sport.
The report also notes that the figures are only taking into account the reported salaries plus ‘Fight of the Night’ and ‘Performance of the Night’ bonuses that have been made public, along with any Reebok payouts.
And Khabib wasn’t the only fighter to secure a multi-million pound purse as a result of just one fight.
Khabib (right) earned the mammoth sum in his retirement fight against Justin Gaethje (left)
McGregor beat Donald Cerrone in just 40 seconds to secure the huge payday last January
Fierce rival Conor McGregor also earned an eye-watering salary of £2.4m after the Irishman impressively beat Donald Cerrone in just 40 seconds last January.
McGregor would go on to announce his third retirement from fighting in June before announcing his return towards the end of last year.
Third on the list was Junior dos Santos, who also broke the £1m mark while managing to lose all three of his bouts in 2020.
His most recent defeat – and fourth on the bounce – came against Ciryl Gane last month but despite the Brazilian’s losing streak, he remains a wealthy man.
Junior dos Santos (left) came third in the top 25 highest earners despite losing three times
It puts him just ahead of Israel Adesanya, who fought twice last year, earning him £903,000 in the process.
Jose Aldo (sixth on the list) and Stipe Miocic also made the top 10 while Tony Ferguson was the 15th-highest earner in 2020 – despite it not being a great year for him competitively.
Charles Oliveira, the man that beat Ferguson last month at UFC 256, earned £409,000 from his two fights which saw him edge into the top 25 highest paid earners in the UFC.
UFC’S TOP 25 EARNERS FOR 2020
1. Khabib Nurmagomedov – £4,700,000 ($6.1m)
2. Conor McGregor – £2,400,000 ($3m)
3. Junior dos Santos – £1,100,000 ($1.5m)
4. Israel Adesanya – £903,000 ($1.2m)
5. Justin Gaethje – £675,000 ($920,000)
6. Jose Aldo – £660,000 ($900,000)
7. Deiveson Figueiredo – £640,000 ($875,000)
8. Anthony Pettis – £630,000 ($855,000)
9. Alistair Overeem – £609,000 ($830,000)
10. Stipe Miocic – £580,000 ($790,000)
11. Dominick Reyes – £558,000 ($760,000)
12. Robert Whittaker – £547,000 ($745,000)
13. Marcin Tybura – £515,000 ($701,000)
14. Andrei Arlovski – £510,000 ($695,000)
15. Tony Ferguson – £510,000 ($695,000)
16. Donald Cerrone – £485,000 ($660,000)
17. Kamaru Usman – £470,000 ($640,000)
18. Anderson Silva – £455,000 ($620,000)
18. Derrick Lewis – £455,000 ($620,000)
20. Anthony Smith £451,000 ($615,000)
21. Jan Blachowicz – £433,000 ($590,000)
22. Jim Miller – £428,000 ($583,000)
23. Charles Oliveira – £409,000 ($557,000)
24. Kevin Holland – £406,000 ($553,000)
25. Glover Teixeira – £404,000 ($550,000)
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article