‘Pina Coladas on me fellas!’: McGregor announces retirement from MMA

‘Pina Coladas on me fellas!’: Conor McGregor announces retirement from MMA… but fans refuse to believe UFC star’s career is over

  • Conor McGregor announcement his shock retirement from MMA on Tuesday
  • The Irishman is currently suspended from fighting after a brawl at UFC 229
  • Fans quickly dismissed his announcement and labelled it as a potential hoax 
  • Only last week McGregor looked to confirm a trilogy contest against Nate Diaz 

Conor McGregor left UFC fans stunned as he announced his shock retirement from MMA. 

The 30-year-old is currently suspended from fighting by the Nevada State Athletic Commission after UFC 229 – a night which saw his defeat overshadowed by a post-fight brawl with victor Khabib Nurmagomedov.

With his suspension ongoing, talk has been rife as to his next fight but McGregor looked to call time on his career on social media, only for fans to simply refuse to believe it is not a hoax.  

Conor McGregor left MMA fans stunned as he announced his retirement from the sport

Conor McGregor left MMA fans stunned as he announced his retirement from the sport

The Irishman took to Twitter in the early hours of Tuesday to reveal his retirement decision

The Irishman took to Twitter in the early hours of Tuesday to reveal his retirement decision

RELATED ARTICLES

  • Previous
  • 1
  • Next
  • Anthony ‘Showtime’ Pettis stuns crowd with astonishing… ‘He gave me a rematch at the exact same weight, there was no… Conor McGregor opens up on his love for Manchester United,… Conor McGregor goes for a ‘little night out in New York’…

Share this article

Posting on his Twitter page in the early hours of Tuesday morning, McGregor wrote: ‘Hey guys quick announcement, I’ve decided to retire from the sport formally known as ‘Mixed Martial Art’ today. I wish all my old colleagues well going forward in competition.

‘I now join my former partners on this venture, already in retirement. Proper Pina Coladas on me fellas!’ 

UFC president Dana White confirmed the shock news just one hour after McGregor’s announcement on Twitter.

UFC President Dana White confirmed the news of McGregor's retirement via text to ESPN

UFC President Dana White confirmed the news of McGregor’s retirement via text to ESPN

‘He has the money to retire and his whiskey is KILLIN it,’ White told ESPN via text message. ‘It totally makes sense and if I was him i would retire too.

‘He’s retiring from fighting. Not from working. The whiskey will keep him busy and I’m sure he has other things he’s working on. He has been so fun to watch! He has accomplished incredible things in this sport.

CONOR MCGREGOR MMA RECORD

Total fights – 25

Wins – 21

Wins by knockout – 18

Wins by submission – 1 

Wins by decision – 2 

Defeats – 4

Defeats by submission – 4

‘I am so happy for him and I look forward to seeing him be as successful outside of the octagon as he was in it.’

Fans were quickly wary of McGregor’s retirement post given the Irishman’s previous hoax back in 2016. 

McGregor that time suggested he had retired from MMA when he tweeted he ‘decided to retire young’ a month after losing to Nate Diaz. 

Only last week McGregor looked to confirm a trilogy fight with long-standing rival Diaz when he told TMZ Sports: ‘I have nothing but respect. I owe him the trilogy now and the trilogy will happen.’ 

McGregor has not entered the cage since losing his lightweight title to Nurmagomedov back in October. 

More to follow.  

McGregor has not entered the cage since his defeat to Khabib Nurmagomedov in October

McGregor has not entered the cage since his defeat to Khabib Nurmagomedov in October

RELATED ARTICLES

  • Previous
  • 1
  • Next
  • Anthony ‘Showtime’ Pettis stuns crowd with astonishing… ‘He gave me a rematch at the exact same weight, there was no… Conor McGregor opens up on his love for Manchester United,… Conor McGregor goes for a ‘little night out in New York’…

Share this article

Source: Read Full Article