Domestic battery charge against Redskins LB Reuben Foster dropped

The latest domestic assault case involving Washington Redskins linebacker Reuben Foster was dropped by prosecutors for lack of evidence on Thursday. 

Foster faced a single misdemeanor count of domestic battery related to an alleged altercation with his on-again, off-again girlfriend Elissa Ennis in Tampa on Nov. 24. Foster, a member of the San Francisco 49ers at the time, was released hours after his arrest at the 49ers' team hotel. 

“We take issues of domestic violence very seriously and thoroughly investigated this case,” Estella Gray, spokesperson for the Hillsborough State Attorney’s Office, told USA TODAY Sports. "There was no evidence that corroborated the allegations."

A notice of termination of prosecution filing was made in court by prosecutors on Thursday, the same day Foster was scheduled to be arraigned. 

Ennis alleged Foster "pushed her in the chest" and "slapped her with an open hand," according to the criminal affidavit provided by Tampa police.

The Redskins were heavily criticized for claiming Foster off waivers days after his second arrest in less than a year's time on domestic violence charges. Foster remains on the commissioner's exempt list as the league's investigation into the incident continues. He still could face further discipline from the league.

Foster was forced to sit out the first two games of the season for violating the NFL's policies on personal conduct and substance abuse related to the first arrest in February 2018. The Santa Clara County (Calif.) District Attorney's Office charged Foster with felony domestic violence and three other charges before Ennis recanted her allegations. 

Ennis admitted in court last May that she served time in a Louisiana jail for fabricating domestic violence allegations against a different boyfriend in 2011. 

USA TODAY Sports does not identify alleged victims of domestic violence unless they choose to come forward publicly, which Ennis did in an interview with ABC News in December. Messages left with Ennis' attorney were not immediately returned on Thursday. 

Source: Read Full Article