What a ride.
The contract stand-off between the Dallas Cowboys and Dak Prescott has just produced its wildest day yet following a report the star quarterback just turned down a contract offer that would have made him the highest paid quarterback in the history of the NFL.
The only problem is the team and the player’s management have denied report.
The storm all started when NBC NFL analyst Chris Simms reported on Thursday Prescott had rejected an astronomical offer from the Cowboys and said the two parties were still miles away from a resolution to their contract dispute.
Simms said in an interview on a Dallas radio station Prescott was offered a five-year, $267 million ($US175m) contract from the Cowboys.
The two-time Pro Bowler is reportedly seeking more than $45 million ($AUD69m) per year to play for Dallas, Fox News reports.
“From what I know of the situation, alright, and I know from some people who are in the know, he’s been offered five years, $175 million,” Simms said. “He wants a four-year deal. If they do agree to a five-year deal, they would like a really big number at the end of that fifth year to cover their butts for what the market might be at the position five years from now.
Pay the man.Source:AFP
“And I’ve heard he’s asking for somewhere like north of $45 million in that fifth year.”
According to ESPN, Prescott and the Cowboys are at a stalemate over contract length.
To clarify any recent speculation on Dak Prescott’s contract negotiations: there have been no discussions on other scenarios other than the Cowboys wanting a longer deal and Prescott wanting a shorter deal, per source.
Prescott reportedly wants a shorter contract than what the Cowboys are offering him.
It was reported in March contract talks had resumed, giving the two parties until July 15 to come to a deal. If not, the quarterback will play under the franchise tag for the season.
Prescott would reportedly earn around US33 million this season if a contract extensions is not finalised before the July deadline.
Luckily, for the Cowboys, the suggestions that Prescott wants outlandish money appear to be untrue.
Several reports, including one from NFL Network insider Ian Rapoport, have claimed both Prescott’s representatives and Dallas management have denied Simms’ claim.
Dak Prescott turned down a 5-year, $175 million contract offer from the #Cowboys according to @CSimmsQB
It would've made him the highest paid QB in history.
Prescott instead is seeking “north of $45M” in the final season of his new deal, reportedly. pic.twitter.com/IBYCVaxVk7
According to the team side and Dak Prescott’s agent, the report (👇🏽) from @CSimmsQB is definitely not true. The two sides have never discussed such scenarios or anything like it. Dak wants a shorter deal, the #Cowboys want a longer one. July 15 is the deadline. https://t.co/yUgxcz5qcq
The Cowboys earlier this month signed former Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton to a one-year contract. The move was claimed by some commentators to be an attempt to gain leverage over Prescott in their tense negotiations.
The 2016 Offensive Rookie of the Year has not had a losing season since taking the reins from Tony Romo prior to the start of the 2016 season. Since then, he’s racked up 15,778 passing yards, 97 touchdown passes, and 36 interceptions.
He has played in every game since taking over and had his best season yet in 2019. He recorded 4,902 passing yards with 30 touchdown passes and only 11 interceptions. However, the Cowboys sputtered during the season,finishing with an 8-8 record and missing out on an NFC East title.
Prescott was given the franchise tag by the Cowboys to start the season while he reportedly remained committed to getting a new deal.
Dak is holding out.Source:AFP
Should he get the deal he was looking for, he would make more money than other quarterbacks who have won Super Bowls. Prescott has only appeared in three playoff games, winning one during the 2018 season.
It’s unclear whether the Cowboys and Prescott will get a deal hammered out. Dallas has already given contract extensions to Ezekiel Elliott, Jaylon Smith, La’el Collins, DeMarcus Lawrence, and Amari Cooper since April 2019.
Cowboys team owner Jerry Jones said last month he wasn’t concerned about the contract situation as the team prepared for the draft.
“It’s not in a list of priorities, as you could imagine, with everything that we all are dealing with, as well as what we’re doing with the draft,” he told reporters, according to ESPN.
“So I don’t have a time frame, but I’m not concerned about that at all as to any of those issues. And again, no surprises here; no surprises on the amount that the franchise counts against the [cap]; no surprise that we’re sitting here, relative to where we are, without a long-term agreement.”
Sources told ESPN in April that Prescott does not plan to participate in the Cowboys’ off-season program until both sides agree to a long-term contract.
Source: Read Full Article