Daniel Ricciardo crashes out of Q1 in qualifying for the Singapore GP

‘Ricciardo should RETIRE’: More misery for Australian veteran after crashing out of Q1 in qualifying for the Singapore Grand Prix – and fans fear the popular driver’s career is ‘finished’

  • Daniel Ricciardo’s misery continued as he qualified in P17 for the Singapore GP 
  • The 33-year-old has been axed by McLaren and is searching for a new team 
  • However, he did not help his chances with a poor showing in Singapore
  • Team-mate Lando Norris scraped through but has had an upgrade 

Daniel Ricciardo arrived in Singapore desperate for a much-needed shot in the arm amid a torrid 2022 campaign, but his misery continued as he crashed out of Q1 on Saturday. 

McLaren axed Ricciardo last month amid a poor campaign for the Australian, who will make way for Oscar Piastri at the end of the season.

With only Alpine, Haas and Williams offering places on the grid for 2023 season, Ricciardo could do with a strong finish to help prove he is still capable of providing results. 

Daniel Ricciardo had another qualifying to forget after crashing out at Q1 on Saturday

The Australian veteran secured a P17 grid place in Singapore to add to his woes

However, his cause was not helped at Marina Bay Street Circuit on Saturday, where he crashed out of Q1 with a miserable P17 finish, while his teammate Lando Norris reached Q3, although he was the beneficiary of an upgrade.

And concerned fans fear that Ricciardo’s time at the elite level may be over after another disappointing showing. 

‘Ricciardo is finished,’ one fan claimed, while another said: ‘Daniel’s racing days are sadly over.’

A third fan suggested: ‘Ricciardo should retire’ while a McLaren fan said that the Australian’s poor result justified the team’s decision to cancel his contract a year early.

Concerned fans fear that the 33-year-old’s Formula One career is ‘finished’ after the result

The 33-year-old set tongues wagging on Friday when he was spotted leaving the Mercedes garage amid speculation he is being considered as a replacement for Lewis Hamilton by Toto Wolff.

His visit to the Mercedes team follows rather clear comments earlier this week in which he distanced himself from a move to Haas, after the team principle Guenther Steiner told the Australian to give him a call. 

‘I’m still keen to be part of F1 and of course, ‘Plan A’ would be to be on the grid,’ Ricciardo said.

‘So nothing’s changed but I don’t want to just jump at the first kind of seat available. I know the landscape probably changes as well at the end of next year, with contracts and whatever, so I don’t want to say remaining patient, but remaining open.’




Share this article

Source: Read Full Article