F1 announce race calendar changes as Turkish Grand Prix is cancelled

Lewis Hamilton's 'natural ability is fantastic' says Button

When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.

Formula One has announced they are to cancel the Turkish Grand Prix, which was due to take place over the weekend of June 11-13 this season, due to new COVID-19 travel restrictions being announced, instead being replaced by a second race in Austria.

 

Formula One say the weekend will now remain free, with the French Grand Prix moving a week earlier than originally planned to June 18-20 with the Styrian Grand Prix in Austria added to the calendar on June 25-27.

That creates a new France-Styria-Austria triple header, with the Austrian Grand Prix staying in its original July 2-4 slot, keeping to the original 23 races planned for the 2021 season.

Speculation surrounding the Turkish Grand Prix started a week after it was announced as the replacement for the Canadian Grand Prix, which was also cancelled due to Covid concerns.

Would make this a separate line from here – The country was red-listed by the UK Government, meaning anyone travelling from Turkey would have to quarantine in a hotel for 10 days on their return, with a race in France just a few days later.

JUST IN: 
Red Bull ‘calm’ after ‘bendy’ wing accusations from Lewis Hamilton

At the time, Haas boss Guenther Steiner raised concerns.

“Everything is possible but there is a limit of what you can ask people to do,” said Steiner.

“We have to be respectful because we cannot have people not going home for six weeks. That is not fair.

“It is good to work but it is not like the rest of the schedule is easy. Last year was tough and this year, at the end of the year it will be tough if we get all the races in which hopefully, we do.

“We don’t have to overdo it and I don’t think it is an option to keep going for the next two years and never go home.”

DON’T MISS:
Mercedes boss Toto Wolff has four options to replace Valtteri Bottas
Red Bull boss has Toto Wolff Mercedes theory over Lewis Hamilton
Lewis Hamilton comments have Red Bull boss biting back in defence

In a statement, F1 said: “We were all looking forward to racing in Turkey but the travel restrictions in place have meant we are not able to be there in June,” said Stefano Domenicali, President and CEO of Formula 1.

“Formula 1 has shown again that it is able to react quickly to developments and find solutions and we are delighted that we will have a double header in Austria meaning our season remains at 23 races.

“I want to thank the promoter and authorities in Turkey for all of their efforts in recent weeks and want to thank the promoters in France and Austria for their speed, flexibility and enthusiasm in accommodating this solution.

“We have had very good conversations with all the other promoters since the start of the year and continue to work closely with them during this period.”

The statement added that the promoter in Turkey has requested that Formula 1 look at the potential opportunity for the race in Istanbul to be rescheduled later in the season if possible, alongside China who made the same request earlier this year.

Formula One heads to Monaco next, which has just successfully hosted Formula E, after taking a hiatus in 2020 due to COVID-19.

Source: Read Full Article