Family loses wedding accommodation because of NRL’s Queensland move

The NRL’s move north in order to save the 2021 season has been praised for its rapid response in many different circles.

The NRL revealed that 12 clubs — all teams bar the Melbourne Storm, Brisbane Broncos, Gold Coast Titans and North Queensland Cowboys — would relocate to Queensland.

Watch The 2021 NRL Telstra Premiership Live & On-Demand on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >

Queensland reported just five cases in the past 24 hours but has few restrictions in place, while the greater Sydney region’s lockdown was extended for another two weeks on Wednesday after 99 new cases were reported.

The clubs were given 48 hours notice to relocate as the NRL confirmed they would be flown on charter flights to Queensland and comply with public health requirements to ensure no risk to the community.

But moving 41 people, including 30 players and 11 staff for 12 different teams takes up a lot of room and is bound to be disruptive.

Just ask the family whose wedding booking has been cancelled just three days before the event.

Ivan Cleary and Penrith Panthers players touch down on the Sunshine Coast. Picture Lachie MillardSource:News Corp Australia

The Novotel Twin Waters, where it is reported the Newcastle Knights, Penrith Panthers, Manly Sea Eagles and Sydney Roosters will stay, informed the family that eight rooms booked by the wedding party had been cancelled with the NRL moving in.

The mother of the bride, Suzie, told 4BC’s Neil Breen that an email last night was all the correspondence they'd received.

“My brother rang me about 6.50pm last night to say he got an email … saying his accommodation had been cancelled due to it becoming a quarantine hotel,” Suzie said.

“I’m out; we’re all out … we had about eight to 10 rooms booked.

“Obviously my money is not good enough, so the NRL are more important than me.”

9 News reported the family have found alternate accommodation since but are now scattered across different accommodations and are trying to organise transportation.

Queensland deputy premier Steven Miles was asked about the issue this morning and called on the NRL to compensate the family.

“There weren’t three empty hotels or resorts that the NRL could move into,” Mr Miles said.

“That has meant that some guests and reservations have been displaced.

“I’d simply call on the NRL to do everything they can to accommodate this wedding to help them to find an alternative venue and to appropriately assist and compensate them.”

The NRL has taken nearly everyone north of the border.Source:Getty Images

The NRL have yet to comment on the situation.

It comes as some players were blindsided by the move as it was announced on Sunday afternoon, while others were able to react to the news over the following days with the bubbles reportedly set for at least a month away from home.

The players have been reportedly able to move with their immediate families but will be in tight bubbles, with Queensland premier Annastacia Palaszczuk warning players and their families that they would be “monitored closely”.

Source: Read Full Article