Irish win the Premiership Cup after beating Worcester

London Irish 25-25 Worcester: Warriors win dramatic Premiership Cup final on most tries scored after Kyle Hatherell’s last-gasp effort forced extra-time

  • Worcester Warriors win the Premiership Cup on tries scored after taking the game to extra time 
  • Paddy Jackson kicks six penalties and a conversion to deliver the Cup – but then misses four in a row 
  • Some resolute defending from both sides is the feature of the second half
  • Worcester concede 17 penalties in regulation time alone in sign of lost discipline

Henry Arundell’s day to remember ended with a night to forget as Paddy Jackson’s missed kicks handed the Premiership Rugby Cup to Worcester.

Just hours after his call up by England, Arundell was brought back down to earth as London Irish conceded an 85th minute try, before missing three extra-time penalties.

Although the scoreline ended level after 100 minutes, Worcester lifted the trophy because they outscored their fellow finalists by three tries to one.

Fin Smith’s conversion right at the end of the game forced extra time after Kyle Hatherell had gone over

Jackson kicked his opening penalty inside three minutes and he was gifted opportunities throughout – with Steve Diamond’s side marched back four times for dissent.

Worcester had won just three away games in two seasons, yet they fought back to lead at half time. They were aggressive in defence, targeting the breakdown and counter-rucking Irish players off the ball.

Flanker Matt Kvesic sprinted from the base of a ruck for a try and Perry Humphreys scored just before the break to cancel out Jackson’s flurry of penalty kicks.

Paddy Jackson brought his right foot along to the party in normal time, but saw it desert him when it mattered late on

Worcester’s poor discipline looked to have cost them the game after they conceded 17 penalties in regulation time alone

Henry Arundell’s day to remember after his England call-up became one to forget after the Cup final loss at the Brentford Community Stadium

After Ted Hill’s breakaway score was ruled out for a knock on, Jackson snatched back the lead with another penalty. Irish would have moved further ahead if their lineout had not malfunctioned.

Worcester introduced Ollie Lawrence from the bench for a powerful cameo. Worcester gave up penalties at the breakdown, allowing Jackson to take his points haul to 20, but Hatherell levelled the score to force extra time.

Smith missed the first kick in extra time, before Jackson was off target three times to gift the cup to the Warriors.


London Irish 

Tries: White

Cons: Jackson 

Pen: Jackson (6)

Worcester Warriors 

Tries: Kvesic, Humphreys, Hatherell

Cons: Smith

Pen: Smith (2) 

London Irish: Arundell; Cinti, Joseph, Van Rensburg, Hassell-Collins; Jackson, White; Gigena, Willemse, M van der Merwe; Munga, Simmons, Rogerson, Gonzalez; Tuisue

Worcester Warriors: Shillcock; Humphreys, Venter, Beck, D van der Merwe; Smith, Simpson; Waller, Annett, Judge; Batley, G Kitchener, Hatherell, Kvesic; Hill 

Referee: Wayne Barners 


Share this article

Source: Read Full Article