Atletico set to face action from UEFA over clashes with Man City

UEFA set to appoint disciplinary inspector to investigate ugly scenes at the end of Atletico Madrid and Man City’s Champions League quarter-final second leg, with brawls in the tunnel needing police intervention

  • Atletico Madrid are set to face UEFA action following clashes with Man City
  • Stefan Savic was at the centre of the brawls, clashing with several City players
  • Brawls carried on in the tunnel after the final whistle, with police intervening
  • The shocking scenes marred the quarter-final tie at the Wanda Metropolitano 

Atletico Madrid are set to face UEFA action after their Champions League quarter-final with Manchester City on Wednesday ended with ugly scenes on and off the pitch.

Wednesday night’s second leg at the Wanda Metropolitano descended into chaos moments before City claimed a hard-fought goalless draw to reach the semi-finals with a 1-0 aggregate success.

UEFA could appoint an ethics and disciplinary inspector to fully investigate what happened, and will await and assess reports on the trouble from the referee and match delegate.

Atletico Madrid are set to face UEFA action following the ugly scenes at the end of their Champions League quarter-final second leg with Manchester City

City, protecting a 1-0 lead from last week’s first leg, withstood a barrage of pressure, intense provocation from a fired-up Atletico and a hostile atmosphere to reach the semi-finals after a hard-fought goalless draw.

The two sets of players clashed following a poor tackle from Felipe on Phil Foden, which then caused tempers to flare.  

Felipe’s hack left the forward in a heap which then saw Stefan Savic lose his head as he dragged the forward back on to the pitch before appearing to headbutt Raheem Sterling. 

Savic then took his frustrations out on Jack Grealish, with the pair exchanging words during that brawl before the former City defender was seen pulling the England international’s hair – but the hostility escalated in the tunnel. 

The dust-up began when Stefan Savic forcefully tried to hoist Phil Foden (bottom) off the floor

City players then angrily confronted Savic, who responded with violence and aggression

Marcos Llorente was seen throwing an object in the direction of Aymeric Laporte in the tunnel area, while there appeared to be a physical altercation later in a clip circulating online, and there were reports objects were thrown at members of the opposite camps. 

Pep Guardiola was showered by bottles raining from the stands as he ran down the tunnel. 

Four local policemen, dressed in riot gear, rushed down towards the dressing rooms on a shameful night for the Spanish champions.   

Guardiola later said he had ‘nothing to say’ in relation to the trouble but did add that ‘everyone saw the action’.

Guardiola preferred to focus on his side’s rearguard action in the face of ferocious pressure.

There was mayhem in the tunnel afterwards, with both sets of players having to be separated

City did hit the post through Ilkay Gundogan in the first half but spent most of the second period in a rearguard action as Atletico, criticised for their defensive attitude in the first leg, finally upped the tempo.

‘We defended everything but they had the chances,’ said Guardiola.

‘They did everything. They know this competition and this stadium with their people. Always it is difficult.

‘That is why it is a big compliment to the players because we have to live these kind of situations. We cannot expect every time, especially in the Champions League with the champions from Spain, we are going to make everything marvellous.

‘You have to suffer. In part we suffered because we forgot to play but in part we suffered because the opponent was really good.

‘When this happens you try to take the ball but you are not able. With the people and chances they had we had no chances to score a goal.’

Savic (right of centre) and Grealish (left) had to be forcefully separated as hostility continued

Victory in the bruising tie could also have come at a cost. As well as Foden needing to play with a bandaged head, Kevin De Bruyne and Kyle Walker were both taken off after knocks.

City, who are chasing a treble this season, are back in action against Liverpool in the FA Cup semi-finals on Saturday.

‘We are in big trouble,’ Guardiola said on BT Sport. ‘We cannot forget we played three days ago a tough game against Liverpool. We came here, we have a lot of injuries.

‘I don’t know what will happen in the next weeks but today we are going to celebrate.’

Action by UEFA would come just days after Atletico were hit with a partial stadium closure for the second leg against City for the ‘discriminatory behaviour’ of their fans during the game in Manchester last week.

That punishment was suspended just hours before the match on Wednesday following an appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Share this article

Source: Read Full Article