Steve Bruce insists he’s ‘DELIGHTED’ Newcastle takeover has gone through ahead of his 1,000th game despite him heading for the sack – as boss admits change in atmosphere at St James’ Park was ‘badly needed’
- Steve Bruce says he is delighted that the Newcastle takeover has gone through
- There have been strong suggestions Bruce will be sacked by the new owners
- Bruce reflected on his managerial career ahead of 1,000th game in the dugout
Steve Bruce is delighted that Newcastle’s Saudi-led takeover has gone through despite uncertainty over his future at the club.
There had been suggestions that Bruce would be sacked following the £300m acquisition of the club by Public Investment Fund.
However, the 60-year-old remained in charge for the game at home to Tottenham and reflected on his lengthy career as he prepared to take charge of his 1,000th game in management.
Newcastle manager Steve Bruce has insisted he is delighted the club’s takeover went ahead
When his playing career is taking into account, Bruce has been involved in football for 43 years in succession.
Bruce told Sky Sports: ‘It’s a bloody long time ago, to get there I found it very, very difficult to start with and I’m still finding it very difficult. You have to be resilient and enjoy the game of football. Management for me is a substitute for playing and that has always been the case for me.
‘How lucky am I to have gone 43 years unbroken, it’s quite unique.’
‘I’m just delighted for everybody that the takeover has gone through because it was badly needed. That’s no disrespect to the previous owners. I like to think I’ve played a little part in it by keeping the club in the Premier League. Let’s hope now that there’s exciting times ahead.’
Bruce added that following the takeover there has been a ‘different atmosphere’ at the Newcastle training ground.
PIF Governor Yasir Al-Rumayyan will act as the non-executive chairman of Newcastle
Mike Ashley received much criticism with Bruce saying that a change was much needed
Mike Ashley had received much criticism during his tenure at the club, but there is now a feeling of optimism, with Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund now owning 80 per cent of Newcastle, with fellow stakeholder Amanda Staveley as a director.
PIF Governor Yasir Al-Rumayyan will act as the non-executive chairman of the Magpies, alongside the Reuben brothers who also have a stake in the club.
Bruce added that there is a feeling of excitement as a result of the change in ownership.
He said: ‘They’ve trained well, it’s a different atmosphere, there’s a different vibe outside the stadium. I think we’ll have an unbelievable atmosphere. I’ve been quietly pleased by some of our performances.’
‘That’s the most important thing we need. We’ve had a difficult start, so let’s hope we can get three points on the board.’
Bruce has had a lengthy spell in management – pictured in charge of Huddersfield in 1999
‘In amongst it all we have to be professional and get on with our jobs, but there’s an air of excitement so let’s hope they grasp it.’
Going into the Tottenham game, Newcastle had failed to win any of their opening seven league matches.
After starting his managerial career at Sheffield United in 1998, Bruce went on to have spells in charge of Huddersfield, Wigan (twice), Crystal Palace, Birmingham, Sunderland, Hull, Aston Villa and Sheffield Wednesday before becoming Newcastle boss in 2019.
Prior to that he had a lengthy playing career, which included a trophy-laden spell at Manchester United.
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article