‘A player who scores at least one goal per game cannot be a problem’: Real Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti races to Cristiano Ronaldo’s defence and admits the Portuguese star actually ‘SOLVED’ issues for him during their two seasons together
- Carlo Ancelotti managed Cristiano Ronaldo during his first spell at Real Madrid
- He said he never had any problems with Ronaldo during their two years together
- Ronaldo was dropped by Fernando Santos for Portugal’s clash with Switzerland
- The Portuguese striker also fell out with Erik ten Hag while at Manchester United
Carlo Ancelotti has raced to the defence of Cristiano Ronaldo, insisting that the Portuguese star ‘never gave me any problems’ during their two seasons together at Real Madrid.
Ronaldo’s explosive behaviour over the last month has seen him cause problems for both club and country.
His bombshell interview with Piers Morgan – where he claimed to have no respect for Erik ten Hag – was soon followed up with a fall-out with Portugal manager Fernando Santos who was not happy with the striker’s reaction to being substituted.
Carlo Ancelotti says that Cristiano Ronaldo never caused him any problems at Real Madrid
The Real Madrid boss said that Ronaldo actually ‘solved’ problems and was easy to manage
Santos felt compelled to drop the former United star and was soon vindicated when his replacement Goncalo Ramos bagged a hat-trick during a 6-1 rout over Switzerland.
With all the background noise going on around Ronaldo’s attitude and behaviour, Real Madrid boss Ancelotti has revealed that the striker actually ‘solved’ problems for him.
Speaking in an interview with Corriere dello Sport, Ancelotti said: ‘I had him with me for two years and he never gave me any problems. In fact, he solved them.
‘A player who scores at least one goal per game cannot be a problem. Cristiano is an athlete who trains well and is always attentive. details. For me, it was easy to manage.’
Ancelotti, who managed Ronaldo during his first spell at Real Madrid between 2013 and 2015, said that the quality of the Portugal national team could be one of the reasons for his omission from Santos’ starting XI against Switzerland.
‘I didn’t see the game, but in football anything is possible. He’s probably fine and feels like a 20-year-old, but his body might not give the answers he’s looking for,’ the Italian added.
Fernando Santos dropped his captain following his poor reaction to being substituted
‘He’s always taken care of himself, but competition in the national team he’s strong. If we think about it, even someone like Rafael Leao starts on the bench.’
It comes after explosive reports in Portugal today claimed Ronaldo was ready to walk out on his country’s World Cup squad after learning he had been dropped from their starting XI.
The Portuguese FA deny the claims, saying Ronaldo ‘builds up a unique track record every day at the service of the national team and the country, which must be respected and which attests to the unquestionable degree of commitment to the national team.’
It is not yet clear who will lead the line for Portugal’s quarter-final clash with Morocco on Saturday and if Ronaldo will be recalled.
Those close to Ronaldo including his sister have come to his aid, blasting the treatment he has received from Fernando Santos in Qatar.
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article