David De Gea reveals he is ‘very excited’ that Manchester United have announced Erik ten Hag as the club’s new manager – with No 1 goalkeeper adding that Saturday’s clash against Arsenal is like a final as Red Devils pursue top-four spot
- Manchester United announced Erik ten Hag as the club’s new manager today
- The Ajax boss has signed a three-year deal and will join at the end of this season
- David De Gea revealed he is ‘looking forward to working’ under the new boss
- The United goalkeeper added that all focus is now on Saturday’s game vs Arsenal
Manchester United No 1 David De Gea has told of his excitement after Erik ten Hag was announced as the club’s new manager.
Ajax boss Ten Hag has signed a three-year deal to take over at Old Trafford from next season, as the club finally put to bed months of speculation over who would be net in the United hotseat.
The Dutchman will be the seventh manager who De Gea – who was a signing under Sir Alex Ferguson in 2011 – has worked with and the Spaniard insisted he was happy the club had got the deal over the line.
David De Gea has told of his excitement after Erik ten Hag was named Man Utd’s new manager
United confirmed Ten Hag’s appointment in a statement issued on Thursday morning
‘Very excited the club has made the decision so now we all know,’ De Gea told the official club website.
‘We know what he has done for Ajax, he has nearly been in a Champions League final, won titles and he develops players, so I’m very excited.
‘I think he plays very good football. Now we have to be focused on the last games but we are excited for this. Now let’s focus on Arsenal and fight for the top four.
‘It’s good to know he is already watching the games and thinking about what he can do to change for us. I’m looking forward to working under him.
‘Of course, now the focus on Arsenal, it’s a final [for us], we have to take the three points, [otherwise] the top four is done. Let’s be focused and win the game.’
The Dutch coach, 52, faces the challenge of rebuilding United into a trophy-winning force
United released this picture of Ten Hag with a United shirt shortly after the announcement
United were thrashed 4-0 by Liverpool on Tuesday and trail Arsenal by three points going into Saturday lunchtime’s clash at the Emirates.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was sacked back in November and German Ralf Rangnick has been in caretaker charge since then.
As well as Ferguson, Solskjaer and Rangnick, De Gea has also worked with David Moyes, Louis van Gaal and Jose Mourinho during his time at United.
Ten Hag fact file
Born: February 2, 1970 in Haaksbergen, Holland
- Played as a centre-back for Dutch clubs FC Twente (three spells), De Graafschap, RKC Waalwijk and Utrecht, making 336 league appearances.
- Won the Dutch second division with De Graafschap in 1990-91 and the Dutch Cup with FC Twente in 2000-01.
- Moved into management with second-tier Go Ahead Eagles, where Marc Overmars was a shareholder, in 2012, leading them to their first promotion in 17 years during his one and only season there.
- Coached Bayern Munich’s second team between 2013 and 2015, when Pep Guardiola was manager of the first team.
- Returned to Utrecht as manager in 2015, leading them to finishes of fifth and fourth in the Eredivisie in his two seasons there.
- Appointed Ajax head coach in December 2017 following the dismissal of Marcel Keizer.
- Has won Dutch league and cup doubles with the Amsterdam club in 2018-19 and 2020-21, as well as leading them to the Champions League semi-finals in 2019.
Share this article
Source: Read Full Article