Erling Haaland says he’s ‘sad’ to see Jadon Sancho bring an end to their deadly partnership by joining Manchester United but believes there are plenty of players who can fill the void left by the forward at Borussia Dortmund.
United announced that they had finally reached a £73million agreement with Dortmund to land Sancho earlier this month – after missing out on a deal last summer – and the 21-year-old underwent a medical with his new side on Tuesday.
The England international joins a host of incredible attacking talent at Old Trafford and will hope to strike up an understanding with the likes of Marcus Rashford, Mason Greenwood, Anthony Martial and Edinson Cavani, just as he did across his 18 months with Haaland.
The pair notched up a combined total of 35 goals and 17 assists in the Bundesliga last season and both scored braces as Dortmund thumped RB Leipzig 4-1 to lift the German Cup for just the fifth time in the club’s history.
‘Me and Jadon understood each other very well and he’s a top player,’ Haaland told Stadium Astro when asked which Dortmund player can step up to become his new partner in crime.
‘So of course it’s sad that he goes but that’s how it is and that’s football. You never know what will happen.
‘But I think that there’s a lot of other good players that I have a good tone with and it can become even better.
‘We have to see who I match the best with.’
Marco Rose has taken over the reins from Dortmund interim manager, Edin Terzic, ahead of the new season and Haaland knows what to expect from the German having previously worked with him at Red Bull Salzburg.
‘I talked a little bit with him and I know him from before because I had him for six months at Salzburg,’ the Norway striker added.
‘He’s a nice guy and I look forward to working with him.
‘I heard the training sessions are hard here so it’s exactly the same as it was at Salzburg. Hard training and a lot of running.
‘That’s what I expect the tactics to be, to press a lot and run a lot and attack a lot.’
On Dortmund’s targets for the season ahead, Haaland went on: ‘First of all, we have to have a good pre-season and to get to know each other.
‘We will see. We won the DFB-Pokal trophy last year and that was very important for us, the club and the fans.
‘That was important and we will have to see.’
It had looked likely Haaland would follow Sancho out the exit door at Westfalenstadion but Dortmund have stood firm amid the intense speculation linking the Norwegian with the likes of Chelsea, Manchester United and Manchester City.
Recent reports in Germany claimed Chelsea had offered Tammy Abraham and Callum Hudson-Odoi as makeweights in a potential deal for Haaland – but this proposal was immediately rejected by the Bundesliga outfit.
‘For us, nothing has changed on this matter,’ Dortmund’s head of first-team football, Sebastian Kehl, recently told reporters.
We are planning firmly with Erling, this has also been clearly communicated to him and his advisor.
‘He wants to play football, he feels comfortable with us and is hungry to score many goals for us this season.’
Source: Read Full Article