Ex-Newcastle star jailed for drunken ‘cheesy chip’ attack that broke woman’s jaw

  • Bookmark
  • For the latest from the pitch sign up for our football newsletter

    Thank you for subscribing!

    For the latest from the pitch sign up for our football newsletter

    We have more newsletters

    A former Newcastle United player attacked a 60-year-old woman and left her in a bloody mess with a broken jaw.

    Marcus Maddison, 29, who spent several years in Newcastle's academy, launched the drunken assault after arguing with the woman and her daughter in a kebab shop.

    He threw cheesy chips at the mum, after calling her daughter a "fat s***", the broke her jaw with a sickening punch. He was jailed for 20 months over the attack, which happened in Darlington, County Durham on September 24 last year.

    Teesside Crown Court heard Maddison, who played for Darlington FC at the time, had been out drinking with a close pal on the night and the two stopped in a kebab shop while making their way home, at around 3am.

    Robin Turton, prosecuting, told the court at a previous hearing how the footballer exchanged words with the victim's daughter while in the takeaway, telling her: "F*** off, don't come near me you fat s***."

    Maddison's friend told him to go home but as they made their way up the street, he heard the midfielder warn the woman "you come near me and I'm going to pelt these cheesy chips at you," before throwing them at her.

    The court heard Maddison fell over as he threw his food at the victim, before getting up and punching the woman in the face. Mr Turton said the footballer's friend heard a "distinctive pop sound of the blow" as the 60-year-old victim fell to the floor.

    Maddison fled the scene before police officers arrived to find the victim on the floor, holding her face. Mr Turton added: "There was a steady stream of blood coming from what appeared to be a broken nose … she was unable to speak due to her injuries."

    The court heard the victim was taken to Darlington Memorial Hospital, where an examination revealed swelling and bruising to the left side of her face and a CT scan revealed multiple mid-facial bone fractures.

    In a victim impact statement, the woman said: "My jaw was broken in multiple places. I can't eat on the left hand side of my mouth. I have problems with my teeth. I can no longer smell properly."

    Maddison appeared in the dock at the court on Tuesday for his sentencing. In mitigation, his barrister Tabitha Buck told the court his client didn't have any previous convictions and was very remorseful of his actions. Ms Buck added that the footballer had stopped drinking since the incident.

    Maddison failed to make a single appearance for Newcastle's senior side before being offloaded to St Johnstone in 2013. He later moved to Gateshead before spending six seasons at Peterborough United in League One.

    A loan spell with Championship club Hull followed in 2020, before short-term moves to Charlton, Bolton and Spalding United. He joined Darlington last summer, but his contract was cancelled following the assault.

    • Newcastle United FC
    • Darlington FC

    Source: Read Full Article