Frenkie de Jong’s representatives are encouraging Chelsea and Paris Saint-Germain to bid for the midfielder despite Manchester United reaching an initial agreement with Barcelona, according to reports.
United have made De Jong one of their top transfer targets for the summer and reports this week have claimed that an €85 million (£72.2m) deal has now been agreed with Barcelona for the Netherlands international.
United have agreed to pay €75m (£63.7m) up front plus a further €10m (£8.5m) in add-ons.
But De Jong’s preference is to remain at Barcelona and the 25-year-old is not willing to leave until the Spanish club pay him his outstanding wages, which is in excess of €20m (£17m).
According to ESPN, De Jong would rather join another Champions League club if he were to leave Barcelona and the midfielder’s agent is trying to get Chelsea and PSG to submit offers.
The report also claims that De Jong is still not fully convinced about a move to United.
Speaking at the unveiling of Raphinha on Friday, Barcelona president Joan Laporta revealed that Xavi wants De Jong to join the team for their pre-season tour of the United States.
‘It is not true that the club are forced to sell Frenkie,’ Laporta said.
‘It will be Xavi who decides if he travels on tour, but I understand that he will.’
Meanwhile, Barcelona’s director of football Mateu Alemany indicated that De Jong will not be sold, despite meeting with United’s hierarchy earlier this week.
‘Frenkie is an important player for us. We totally count on him. The story ends here,’ Alemany said.
‘The issue of fair play forces players to leave. Those who leave will be one or the other. More complicated is the departure of players who are less important that Frenkie.’
For more stories like this, check our sport page.
Follow Metro Sport for the latest news onFacebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Source: Read Full Article