LaLiga president Javier Tebas CONDEMNS Federico Valverde punching Villarreal’s Alex Baena in the face… claiming that ‘provocation’ over an alleged comment about Real Madrid star’s unborn child ‘is never justification’
- The LaLiga chief condemned Federico Valverde’s punch on the Villarreal player
- Incident followed allegation Alex Baena made comment about his unborn child
- The Villarreal player denied as much – and will press charges against Valverde
Javier Tebas, the La Liga president, has condemned Federico Valverde for punching Villarreal’s Alex Baena in the face.
Baena was alleged to have told Valverde, ‘Cry now that your son is not going to be born’ earlier in the season with the Uruguayan and his partner at the time in danger of losing their unborn child. The 21-year-old has denied making the comment.
Following Real Madrid’s defeat to Villarreal over the weekend, Valverde punched Baena in the face as he was boarding the team bus.
With the incident having dominated the headlines in Spain in the days since, Tebas has weighed in, condemning the Uruguayan’s show of violence – claiming provocation does not equal justification.
‘The provocation is a mitigation, it is never the justification of the fact,’ Tebas said.
Javier Tebas has condemned Federico Valverde’s violence towards Alex Baena
Baena, right, was allegedly punched by Real Madrid’s Federico Valverde, left, on Saturday
Baena denies making comments about Valverde’s family (pictured) earlier in the season
‘It will be anti-violence who has to impose the corresponding sanctions. It is a reprehensible action.’
Valverde will avoid sporting punishment after Villarreal decided against reporting the incident to the Spanish Football Federation and it was not included in the referee’s report.
However, Baena himself reported the incident to the police amid his own claims that he and his family have received a number of death threats since the incident came to light.
‘Last Saturday I was assaulted by a fellow professional after the match against Real Madrid,’ Baena posted on social media, as reported by Marca.
‘After the event, some statements allegedly made by his entourage came to light, including that I wished harm on one of his relatives.
‘Since then, there has been no evidence published to prove the allegations made against me.
‘A tragedy was used to justify the aggression and there are lies that hurt more than the blows.
‘The damage being done to my family is irreparable and unjustifiable: threats, insults and even private messages wishing death to my family.
‘Yesterday I reported the case to the police. Let justice do its job. My only objective now is to focus on my profession and help my club to achieve its objectives.’
Villarreal confirmed in a statement on Sunday night that the police will now be involved and that could leave a way open for Spain’s Anti-Violence Commission to get involved.
Baena had indicated to local journalists on Sunday morning that the matter would be laid to rest without any further action taken. But he changed his mind and his club have said they will back him in his decision.
The Villarreal statement issued on Sunday night read: ‘Villarreal CF player Alex Baena was assaulted last night on his way to the team bus after the match against Real Madrid CF at the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium.
‘Once again, Villarreal CF rejects any act of violence and firmly believes in the version of its player and will support him throughout this process’.
Valverde’s wife, Mina Bonino, posted a message on Twitter addressing Baena’s alleged comment.
She wrote: ‘Do I have to explain why they told me that my pregnancy could not continue?
Baena has decided to press charges against Valverde for the incident after Villarreal’s victory
Alex Baena posted on social media that his family have been subjected to death threats
‘We were silent for almost two months waiting for the result to know whether or not we could continue, having already five months of pregnancy.
‘I have already gone through enough for them to come and question me about my son’s health.
‘Despite everything, from the bottom of my heart, I don’t wish anyone to go through a similar situation.’
Valverde and Mina’s child is believed to be healthy, with the Sun reporting that she updated followers on Instagram last month that she was ‘six months into it’.
The couple already have one son together named Benicio, born in February 2020.
Source: Read Full Article