BREAKING NEWS: Kylian Mbappe announces he is STAYING at PSG next season, as French superstar effectively confirms intention to leave on free transfer next summer
- Kylian Mbappe has spoken out on reports he is not extending his deal at PSG
- Chelsea and Manchester United are among those interested in the PSG forward
- Transfer news LIVE: Chelsea and Man United both ‘join race’ for Kylian Mbappe
Kylian Mbappe has effectively confirmed his intention to leave PSG on a free transfer next summer, insisting he is staying at the club for another year without extending his contract.
Mbappe claimed Paris Saint-Germain have known for almost a year that he had no intention of extending his deal at the club.
The 24-year-old forward stunned the footballing world on Monday when he informed the club via a letter to say he did not want to exercise the extension clause which would see him contracted until June 2025.
It means Mbappe has just one more year left to run on his deal at Parc des Princes and the French champions will not risk letting their superstar leave for free next summer.
But in a bombshell statement to AFP, Mbappe insists this is not news to those behind the scenes at PSG.
‘PSG has been informed since July 15, 2022, of my decision not to extend beyond 2024, and the letter that was sent only served to confirm what I had already told them,’ he said.
Kylian Mbappe claims that PSG have known since July 2022 he was not extending his deal
Mbappe agreed a new two-year deal with PSG last summer – with the option of an extra season
PSG had been willing to give him greater incentives to stay on a long-term deal with plans afoot to recruit more France internationals and create a closer identity with the club’s fan base.
However, his declaration leaves them little option but to contemplate a sale with his long-time suitors Real Madrid expected to be at the head of the queue.
According to The Times, Chelsea owner Todd Boehly will register his interest in the World Cup winner this summer in the hope of luring him to Stamford Bridge.
Mail Sport understands that Manchester United are also considering a swoop for Mbappe this summer, but will only launch a bid once a full takeover at Old Trafford is confirmed.
The Qatari bid, which is currently in pole position, is rivalled only by British billionaire and lifelong Red Devils fan Sir Jim Ratcliffe, whose offer would see the unpopular Glazer family remain at the club as minority shareholders.
PSG splashed out around £155million to sign Mbappe from Monaco in 2018 and may now be contemplating cashing in to make some form of return on their investment.
Manchester United will pursue Mbappe if Sheikh Jassim Bin Hamad Al Thani’s offer is accepted
Chelsea are reportedly set to join the race for Paris Saint-Germain wantaway striker Mbappe
Real Madrid have held a long-standing interest in the France international and again appear to be the standout choice as they hunt for a new forward. Le Parisien claim that the Spanish capital club is his preferred landing spot.
Mbappe made a dramatic U-turn in 2021 after an approach from Real Madrid in 2021 and had been expected to join them when his contract expired a year later.
He opted to stay at PSG, though, and agreed the extension that takes him to 2024.
The New York Times claim that if PSG field offers for Mbappe, they may fetch a price in excess of £160m and potentially even over the current world record fee.
The prolific frontman scored 29 goals in 34 league appearances last season, securing his fifth Ligue 1 title during his stint at PSG and his sixth overall.
Extraordinarily, PSG may well lose Lionel Messi, Mbappe and Neymar all in the same summer. Messi will join Inter Miami after leaving on a free while Neymar could move to Saudi Arabia.
PSG were stunned by Mbappe’s bombshell decision (above: club president Nasser Al-Khelaifi)
Source: Read Full Article