Liverpool and Everton fined for failing to control players at Anfield

Liverpool and Everton receive fines for failing to control their players in a heated row at the end last week’s Merseyside derby… but the Toffees must pay £15k more than rivals after being charged TWICE this season

  • A clash between Andy Robertson and Jordan Pickford sparked the Anfield melee
  • Liverpool have received a £25,000 fine, with Everton handed a £40,000 penalty
  • Toffees were charged with the same offence against Crystal Palace in October

Liverpool and Everton have been fined for failing to control their players in last week’s Merseyside derby following a late scuffle between the two teams at Anfield.

Jurgen Klopp’s Reds were leading 2-0 in the dying minutes of the game when Andy Robertson kicked the ball away from Toffees goalkeeper Jordan Pickford after the whistle had already been blown.

The visitors were left seething with Robertson’s perceived time-wasting and made their frustrations known, before some of the Liverpool left-back’s team-mates rushed over to back him up.

The FA responded to the melee by charging both clubs last week, and on Wednesday they revealed that the Merseyside rivals have now received fines.

However, Liverpool have only been hit with a fine of £25,000 over the mass confrontation, which is £15,000 less than Everton’s penalty.

Liverpool and Everton have been fined for failing to control their players at Anfield last week

Both sets of teams were involved in a late scuffle in the closing stages of Liverpool’s 2-0 win

Everton have been fined £15,000 more than Liverpool after being charged with the same offence after their 3-0 win against Crystal Palace in October

The Toffees have been ordered to pay a more severe fine of £40,000 as it is their second charge for the same offence this season, having also been penalised for failing to control their players in a 3-0 win over Crystal Palace back in October.

The FA fined them £20,000 following an altercation between Everton and Palace players that afternoon, and a second charge means the fine is even heftier this time around.

‘Both clubs [Liverpool and Everton] admitted that they had failed to ensure their players and benches conducted themselves in an orderly fashion and refrained from provocative behaviour during the 86th minute,’ said a statement from the Football Association. 

The initial clash between Robertson and Pickford appeared light-hearted, with Robertson laughing and Pickford smiling as he walked off to retrieve the ball.

Yet things soon became more heated when Everton defender Conor Coady ran over and grabbed Robertson by the neck before pushing him away, while Seamus Coleman was also clearly unhappy.

As the incident unfolded near the touchline, a numbr of substitutes were soon caught up in the brawl, with Virgil van Dijk defending Robertson, while Andre Onana, who had been taken off earlier in the game, was held back by his team-mates.

The brawl lasted over a minute before the situation was defused and play resumed.

Conor Coady and Everton stars were left incensed by Andy Robertson’s perceived time-wasting during their defeat at Anfield

Source: Read Full Article