Lopetegui: Chelsea's offer for Kounde was not big enough

‘We trust that he’ll continue to grow with us’: Sevilla boss Julen Lopetegui repeats Monchi’s claim that Chelsea’s offer for Jules Kounde was not big enough after the defender’s ‘anger that a move didn’t happen’

  • Jules Kounde was heavily linked with Chelsea throughout the summer 
  • Monchi had revealed on deadline day that Sevilla had received one bid for him  
  • Kounde was reportedly furious that he had been denied a dream move
  • Sevilla have started the season well and sit second in LaLiga to Real Madrid 

Sevilla manager Julen Lopetegui has reiterated director of football Monchi’s claims that Chelsea did not sign Jules Kounde because they did not make a good enough offer. 

The centre back was heavily linked with the Champions League winners throughout the summer transfer window and was reportedly furious that he was not granted a move to the west London club and is said to have ignored calls from Lopetegui and Monchi.

However, the former Spain boss, whose side sit second in LaLiga to Real Madrid on goals scored, has now spoken to Diario de Sevilla, in quotes carried by Goal.

Julen Lopetegui has repeated Monchi’s claim that Chelsea did not bid enough for Jules Kounde

The 22-year-old was reportedly furious that Seville did not grant him a move to west London

Kounde received interest from Manchester City last summer after joining Sevilla in 2019

‘Kounde in the end has stayed because the club has decided that it was the right thing to do based on the evaluation of the offers they may have had,’ Lopetegui said.

‘For me, as a coach, that Jules stays is positive. With the evolution he has had in these two years, it is positive, without any doubt.

‘We trust that he’ll continue to grow with us and, above all, perform, which is the most important thing.’ 

A new central defender was near the top of Thomas Tuchel’s priorities, a desire that only grew with the departure of Kurt Zouma to West Ham for nearly £30million.

It appeared in late August that the two clubs had agreed a fee of £42.7m. However, Sevilla are said to have raised their asking price late in the day towards a figure similar to the player’s release clause of £67m, which Chelsea decided not to meet. 

Speaking on transfer deadline day, Monchi clarified the Kounde situation, saying: ‘The only written, formal offer from Chelsea came last Wednesday [August 25], around 5pm.

‘We weren’t satisfied with the offer and it was linked to Chelsea selling a player. It was a decent fee, but it didn’t meet our criteria. 

Thomas Tuchel’s need for a new centre back was heightened after Kurt Zouma left the Blues

Monchi revealed on transfer deadline day that Chelsea had only made one bid for Kounde

Kounde was dismissed for France last Wednesday after a terrible challenge on Sead Kolasinac

‘We haven’t spoken with Chelsea since Friday night [August 27]. We all decided that it was best Jules didn’t travel to Elche [for Sevilla’s most recent game]. 

‘It’s normal for players to be affected by news of any kind. Last year he had the interest from City and now Chelsea this year.’

Kounde’s international break has also not gone as planned, with the Frenchman receiving a straight red for a wild challenge on Sead Kolasinac in the 51st minute of the 1-1 World Cup qualifying draw between the two sides.  




Share this article

Source: Read Full Article