Man charged with assault and entering playing area after Billy Sharp ‘headbutt’

For the latest from the pitch sign up for our football newsletter

A man has been charged after Billy Sharp was allegedly attacked following Sheffield United's loss to Nottingham Forest.

Robert Biggs, 30, of Derbyshire, has been charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and going on to the playing area at a football match, Nottinghamshire Police said. Sharp was knocked to the ground near the touchline at the City Ground at the end of the Championship play-off semi-final against Nottingham Forest on Tuesday.

An extensive police investigation was quickly launched following the incident which left the player, who previously played for Forest, requiring medical treatment after a pitch invasion.

Assistant Chief Constable Rob Griffin, of Nottinghamshire Police, said: "I am pleased we have now charged a suspect in connection with this assault. This is a result of hard work done throughout the night and today involving numerous police departments.

"We continue to work closely with both football clubs who are supporting our investigation following this incident.

"Cases such as this will hopefully serve as a deterrent to anyone thinking of getting involved in violent disorder at football matches. Incidents are treated extremely seriously by the force and football clubs and people involved will be held to account."

Biggs is being kept in custody and is due to appear at Nottingham Magistrates' Court on Thursday.

The Blades were beaten on penalties at the City Ground in the Championship play-off semi-final which sparked wild celebrations. As the players surrounded hero goalkeeper Brice Samba – who made three saves – fans invaded the pitch from every stand.

Footage showed one fan running straight at Sharp as the striker stood at the side of the pitch, before headbutting him with extreme force. It left the 36-year-old needing stitches.

  • Nottingham Forest FC

Source: Read Full Article