Manchester United are understood to be resisting calls to suspend Brazil international Antony following allegations from his ex-girlfriend that he attacked her.
Antony, 23, has denied the allegations made by his ex-girlfriend Gabriela Cavallin that he attacked her in a Manchester hotel room the day after United beat Manchester City 2-1 in January.
The club have now come under pressure from domestic abuse charities calling on them to take action against the winger who is under investigation by Greater Manchester Police regarding the assault allegations.
United insist they are “taking the matter seriously” but haven’t yet stopped Erik ten Hag from selecting the player.
READ MORE: Man Utd Deadline Day deal went against what Sir Alex Ferguson believed in
In a statement released on Wednesday, United said: “Manchester United acknowledges the allegations made against Antony and notes that the Police are conducting enquiries.
“Pending further information, the club will be making no further comments. As a club we are taking this matter seriously, with consideration of the impact of these allegations and subsequent reporting will have on survivors of abuse.”
United are understood to be waiting to see whether GMP charge Antony following the allegations before removing him from selection.
Antony has already been removed from the Brazil national team for the upcoming international break against Bolivia and Peru in the opening World Cup qualifiers.
Ms Cavallin told Brazilian outlet UOL that the alleged attack left her with a cut to her head and a breast implant being damaged after she claims he headbutted and punched her.
She also alleged that Antony threatened to attack her whilst she was pregnant and claimed he attacked her multiple times between June 2022 and May 2023.
Mason Greenwood was previously suspended by the club back in January 2022 following his arrest by GMP on charges of attempted rape and controlling and coercive behaviour.
The England international remained suspended for 18 months whilst the club undertook an internal investigation after charges were dropped by the Crown Prosecution Service in February this year.
Domestic abuse charity Women’s Aid have called on United to take a firmer stand or risk sending a message that they were not taking the claims seriously.
A statement said: "We know from survivors of domestic abuse that has an impact on both football fans and wider society, who see them playing and celebrated on the pitch as a sign that the allegations are not being taken seriously by the club.”
Source: Read Full Article