Newcastle boss Steve Bruce refuses to take questions from newspapers

Newcastle boss Steve Bruce REFUSES to take questions from newspapers at his press conference, as the pressure takes its toll after a horror run of 10 matches without a win and fans calling for him to be sacked

  • Newcastle boss Steve Bruce did not take questions at his press-conference 
  • The written media were banned from Monday’s press-conference at Newcastle
  • It comes as pressure and scrutiny on Bruce increases after horror run 

Steve Bruce declared ‘I will never shy away’ – and then gagged the written press.

For the first time in Newcastle’s recent history, newspapers have been barred from asking questions of the manager.

Bruce has said repeatedly that he accepts criticism and takes responsibility for the team’s run of 10 matches without a win. 

How ironic that Steve Bruce spoke on Friday of maintaining his ‘dignity’ amid criticism

Defeat at Villa was an eighth in 10 matches and Newcastle have scored one goal in 13 hours

But his move to silence the free Press – and accept questions from rights holders only – has infuriated supporters. 

Fans want him to go and there were banners placed in protest outside St James’ Park following the Villa surrender. 

Sportsmail revealed on Friday that the Magpies were trying to bring in another coach to work alongside assistants and Stephen Clemence and Steve Agnew. 

Last week Bruce said even the ‘mighty Rafa Benitez’ could not do any better than he did at Newcastle last season. 

The head coach was asked on Friday if it was possible for any manager to be successful under Mike Ashley, after pundits such as Alan Shearer and Gary Neville said recently that the owner was the biggest problem at the club.

Bruce said: ‘I would ask the question: what do you gauge as success? I gauge success last year as matching Rafa’s tally of points (Bruce’s side finished one point less on 44). 

Fans want Bruce to go and there were banners placed in protest outside St James’ Park

Graeme Jones is set to join Steve Bruce’s coaching staff from Bournemouth, Sportsmail understands.

Sportsmail revealed on Friday that the Magpies were trying to bring in another coach to work alongside assistants and Stephen Clemence and Steve Agnew.

And Jones made a formal request to Bournemouth on Saturday to open official talks with the Magpies.

The 50-year-old, who was born in Gateshead, has previously worked as Roberto Martinez’s assistant, most recently with the Belgium national side.

He was appointed Luton manager in 2019 but left the club last April with the team second from bottom in the Championship.

‘Rafa, who I have obviously heard a lot of and have the hugest respect for, like all you (reporters) have, where did he finish? He was a world-class manager. Where did he finish (10th and 13th)? Is that success?

‘We matched the mighty Rafa last year. We are in the bottom half of the Premier League and have been there for the best part of 15 years.

Gateshead-born Graeme Jones (left) is in talks for the role and currently works at Bournemouth

‘What’s realistic for where we are? In between 11th and 16th, is that realistic? Can we aim towards the top 10? We’re three, four points adrift of that (currently eight points). Would that be an achievement? In my eyes, probably yes.’

The Magpies are currently 16th in the Premier League on the back of 10 matches without a win and Bruce is under pressure from supporters but believes he can turn the situation around.

Indeed, the club’s plight is captured by Javier Manquillo having to play at Villa Park for the first time since November because DeAndre Yedlin’s work permit had expired and Newcastle failed to renew it in time.




Share this article

Source: Read Full Article