Premier League transfer rumours: Newcastle set sights on Chris Wood
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Newcastle have been questioned by Gabriel Agbonlahor over the impending signing of Chris Wood from Burnley. Wood is reportedly set to have a medical at Newcastle ahead of a £25million move. The Magpies activated the release clause in the New Zealand star’s contract.
Newcastle have already made one signing this month, with Kieran Trippier arriving for an initial £12million.
The north east club are in a battle against relegation, currently sitting 19th in the Premier League table.
Eddie Howe’s side have been linked with a host of big-name players including Arsenal star Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.
But it appears Wood will be the next player through the door at St James’ Park.
JUST IN: What Man Utd star Marcus Rashford told club bosses after showdown talks
Wood, 30, has scored just three Premier League goals in 17 appearances this season.
His side Burnley sit just one place above Newcastle in the table and are set to be direct rivals to stay in the division.
Agbonlahor says Wood probably thought his agent was joking when he informed him of Newcastle’s interest due to his poor return so far this season.
The former Aston Villa captain says Newcastle supporters should rightly expect more from their cash-rich owners.
Tottenham have four options Man Utd may accept in Jesse Lingard swap [TRANSFERS]
Everton ‘on the brink’ of third transfer as Lucas Digne sale takes new twist [GOSSIP]
Arsenal target Dusan Vlahovic has named his ‘two ideal next clubs’ to friends [RUMOUR]
“It won’t be a short-term basis, I’m sure it will be a three or four-year contract,” Agbonlahor said on talkSPORT.
“I feel that Chris Wood, when he heard the news from his agent, probably thought he was joking.
“He’s got three Premier League goals this season, 30 years old, a club who has £300billion worth from their owners. I think it’s a strange, strange signing.
“There was talk of Aubameyang, there was talk of all these superstars and they’ve gone and got a striker who’s got three goals.
“For me it’s very, very strange and if I’m a Newcastle fan I want more.”
Newcastle are also interested in Reims forward Hugo Ekitike, with Callum Wilson set for a period on the sidelines due to a calf injury.
Sky Sports News reporter Dharmesh Sheth said on Tuesday: “We’re led to believe that Newcastle are in the market for two strikers – an experienced one and another up and coming one.
“Wood will provide that experience, while they are also looking at Reims striker Hugo Ekitike.
“Talks are continuing with this deal but there still remains a gap in the valuation of what Newcastle are willing to spend and what Reims want to receive.
“We think they would want in the region of £30m for the France U20 striker. It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that it could happen. It’s just the gap in valuation does still exist.”
Source: Read Full Article