Nice docked points with Marseille clash replayed without fans after mass brawl

Ligue 1 side Nice have been docked two points, with one of them suspended, after a mass brawl broke out with 15 minutes left to play against Marseille, forcing the match to be abandoned.

The fixture will be replayed at a neutral venue, without fans in attendance, after Nice supporters threw projectiles onto the field of play.

Following the incident, the Riviera club were ordered to play their next home game against Bordeaux behind closed doors.

Nice have been told this will remain the stance until at least the October international break.

The replayed game against Marseille will also take place without supporters.

The brawl emerged in the 75th-minute of the game after ex-West Ham man Dimitri Payet was hit by a bottle and fell to the ground.

The 34-year-old picked up the drinks container, hurling it back at the home fans, prompting a large number of Nice supporters to rush onto the field.

Players and staff were then caught up in the scuffle with blows exchanged as security officials and riot police struggled to take control.

Are the French officials right to dock Nice points? Let us know in the comments section.

Don't miss a thing with our football updates!

Want to be on the ball with all of the latest football news?

Well then sign up for the brilliant Daily Star football email newsletter!

From the latest transfer news to the agenda-setting stories, get it all in your email inbox – don't miss a thing.

How do you sign up?

It only takes a matter of seconds.

Simply type your email address into the box at the top of this article and hit 'subscribe'.

And that's it, job done. You'll receive an email with all of the top news stories every single morning.

You can find out more information on our email newsletter on this link here.

Marseille centre-back Alvaro Gonzalez has been handed a two-game suspension while Payet escaped with a one-match ban.

The punishment means Nice will drop to fifth place in Ligue 1 with six points from three games.

They fall a point behind Marseille in fourth.

The game was finally abandoned after a 90-minute suspension with Marseille refusing to come back out to finish the game.

Nice were leading 1-0 at the time with 15 minutes left to play.

Source: Read Full Article