Porto have been left seething by reports suggesting Chelsea players 'celebrated' drawing them in the Champions League quarter-finals – but it is not the first time they have fallen out with an English club.
Last month Porto legend Paulo Futre hit out at the Blues publicly over the reports, which claimed they were delighted to draw his former club in the last eight of Europe's elite competition.
And ahead of Wednesday night's first leg out in Seville, Futre has insisted the Portuguese side will make them pay for "humiliating us".
He said on CMTV: “President Pinto da Costa, sporting father. Chelsea players celebrated this morning when they saw that it’s Futebol Clube do Porto.
"They may pass. You may pass. But they have to sweat blood. Blood.
“They celebrated this morning, President. And I played in this house, right? I have tremendous pride and… as soon as I heard this, my mother, what I’d give, President.
"As in Kiev, I’d die in Kiev. I’d die in Vienna if necessary, on the pitch.
"Because they touched us in pride, they humiliated us. They thought they were going to win, and they lost.
"And now these guys are going to lose. The English. Serginho, come on!"
Porto defender Pepe has also weighed in on the controversy, insisting that Chelsea know they will still have their work cut out regardless of their reported celebrations.
"It was public that Chelsea players celebrated the draw. But they also know that it will be a difficult game,’ the former Real Madrid centre-back told TNT Sports.
Top trending sport stories right now
"They know that we are a humble, hard-working, supportive team. In the spirit of our fans and what the coach demands of us as players, the work must always be there.
"You can miss a pass, a ball control, a goal, but the work and the desire to win must always be present and that’s what we will try to demonstrate in the game in Seville."
Yet following his comments, Pepe's former Madrid team-mate and current Chelsea midfielder Mateo Kovacic has rubbished any suggestions that they reacted jubilantly to the draw.
When asked if there was any truth to the reports, Kovacic told reporters: "No. It’s strange to hear that from Pepe because I played with him for three years so I don’t know what he actually means with that or if he said it.
"But of course not. I didn’t celebrate because when I played before at Real Madrid, I know that in these kind of stages there are no lucky opponents or bad opponents.
"This is a tough draw, Porto is an amazing team which we saw against Juventus and they knocked them out so it’s a big opponent out.
Don't miss a thing with our football updates!
Want to be on the ball with all of the latest football news?
Well then sign up for the brilliant Daily Star football email newsletter!
From the latest transfer news to the agenda-setting stories, get it all in your email inbox – don't miss a thing.
How do you sign up?
It only takes a matter of seconds.
Simply type your email address into the box at the top of this article and hit 'subscribe'.
And that's it, job done. You'll receive an email with all of the top news stories every single morning.
You can find out more information on our email newsletter on this link here.
"They showed great character and a great team spirit and we need to show that as well tomorrow. ‘We need to try our best to go through but it will not be easy."
Chelsea are not the first English club to fall out with Porto, nevertheless, as Manchester City also had a run-in with the club earlier this season.
Ahead of their Champions League group stage clash, a newsletter produced by Porto slammed City boss Pep Guardiola and midfielder Fernandinho.
10 Chelsea stars set to be put up for sale by Thomas Tuchel this summer transfer window
The newsletter also referenced a year-old racism case involving Portugal international Bernardo Silva.
City produced an angry response, saying: "This is not the first time that Porto have reacted badly in circumstances like this. On this occasion it is the ill-judged and targeted criticism of some of our individual players and indeed our manager, which we wholly reject."
READ MORE:Chelsea first team stars left baffled by Thomas Tuchel selection decision
READ MORE:12 players you forgot still played for Chelsea including hot prospects who never made the grade
Source: Read Full Article