Thierry Henry in profile
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters.Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer.Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights.You can unsubscribe at any time.
Thierry Henry has announced he will not be using social media until users are held accountable for their posts. The Arsenal and France legend made the announcement on his channels on Friday morning. Footballers such as England stars Raheem Sterling and Tyrone Mings have campaigned for action to be taken to prevent racist abuse on social media.
And now Henry has made it clear he has had enough of companies such as Twitter and Instagram not doing all they can to prevent such comments.
Henry will remove himself from social media on Saturday morning and will not return until a change has been made.
Henry posted a message to his followers, writing: “Hi Guys.
“From tomorrow morning I will be removing myself from social media until the people in power are able to regulate their platforms with the same vigour and ferocity that they currently do when you infringe copyright.
JUST IN: Barcelona could beat Real Madrid and Man Utd to Erling Haaland due to loophole
“The sheer volume of racism, bullying and resulting mental torture to individuals is too toxic to ignore. There HAS to be some accountability.
“It is far too easy to create an account, use it to bully and harrass without consequence and still remain anonymous.
“Until this changes, I will be disabling my accounts across all social platforms. I’m hoping this happens soon.”
Last July, while manager of MLS side Montreal Impact, Henry made a statement by taking a knee for the first eight minutes and 46 seconds of a match against New England Revolution.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s dream 2024 Man Utd XI with two £100m superstars [OPINION]
Chelsea eye £38.5m Tottenham target and the star who can unlock Kai Havertz [TRANSFERS]
How Liverpool could line up under Jurgen Klopp next season with three new signings [OPINION]
Henry showed solidarity following the death of George Floyd, who died earlier that year after a Minnesota police officer pressed his knee on his neck for the same amount of time as Henry knelt.
Henry also played in the USA at the end of his professional career.
And he also explained the abuse he received after moving to the New York Red Bulls in an interview last year.
“At one point, I said people didn’t see my colour any more because I played football, because I was, in brackets, famous,” Henry said.
“When I came to play in the US, my colour came back because no one could recognise me, depending on which state we were in. My colour came back. It was the first time again that I felt like I left my neighbourhood.
“When I arrived in New York, some people could recognise me and some couldn’t.
“When you ask for a cab, he looks and sees you are a certain colour and puts the light on and suddenly he isn’t free any more. You’re left like, ‘Hang on I’m alone here’. It hit me again.”
Players in the Premier League have taken the knee before matches in support of the Black Lives Matter campaign since Project Restart last summer.
Crystal Palace star Wilfried Zaha recently became the first top-flight player in England to stop taking the knee, saying it was not making a difference to the abuse he and others would receive.
“My decision to stand at kick-off has been public knowledge for a couple of weeks now,” Zaha said.
“There is no right or wrong decision, but for me personally I feel kneeling has just become a part of the pre-match routine and at the moment it doesn’t matter whether we kneel or stand, some of us still continue to receive abuse.”
Express Sport have contacted Twitter for comment following Henry’s announcement.
Source: Read Full Article