US judge dismisses Las Vegas rape allegations against Cristiano Ronaldo

A US judge has dismissed the Las Vegas rape allegations lawsuit against football star Cristiano Ronaldo.

A Nevada woman has lost her bid to force the Manchester United superstar to pay millions of dollars on top of the $375,000 she received after claiming he raped her in Las Vegas in 2009.

U.S. District Judge Jennifer Dorsey kicked the case out of court on Friday to punish the woman’s attorney, Leslie Mark Stovall, for ‘bad-faith conduct’ and the use of ‘purloined’ confidential documents that the judge said tainted the case beyond redemption.

Dorsey said in her 42-page order that dismissing a case outright with no option to file it again is a severe sanction, but said Ronaldo had been harmed by Stovall’s conduct.

‘I find that the procurement and continued use of these documents was bad faith, and simply disqualifying Stovall will not cure the prejudice to Ronaldo because the misappropriated documents and their confidential contents have been woven into the very fabric of (plaintiff Kathryn) Mayorga’s claims,’ the ruling said. ‘Harsh sanctions are merited.’

More to follow…

Source: Read Full Article