Kate Middleton greets tennis fans during trip to Wimbledon
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Nick Kyrgios has seemingly confirmed his plans to skip the Tokyo Olympics this summer. The Aussie star posted an image on social media earlier this week that suggests his next event will be the Atlanta Open, starting on July 26.
Kyrgios reached the third round of Wimbledon this month before retiring during his match against Canadian Felix Auger Aliassime.
Ahead of the Grand Slam, the 26-year-old was announced as a member of Australia’s squad for the summer Olympic Games in Japan.
However, the Atlanta Open confirmed him as a star entry in their tournament field just days later.
With the Olympics kicking off on July 23, it would clash with the tournament in the United States.
Judging by his recent social media activity, Kyrgios has opted to remain on the ATP circuit this summer rather than represent his country.
JUST IN: Prince George’s private tennis session with Federer: ‘Good swing’
On Tuesday, Kyrgios posted an interesting photo onto his Instagram story, which detailed his rehabilitation program in the Bahamas.
He’s currently recovering from the abdominal strain he suffered at Wimbledon, but the post revealed more than just his rehabilitation plans.
Eagle-eyed followers noticed that Kyrgios had written his plans for his next tournament on the top right of the page.
He wrote: “Next tournament – Atlanta 250.”
Roger Federer confirms retirement talks after Wimbledon defeat [NEWS]
Federer ‘could have issued final farewell’ after Hurkacz defeat [NEWS]
Novak Djokovic argues against Federer and Nadal ‘bad guy’ question [NEWS]
At Wimbledon, Kyrgios said this year’s event is ‘not the Olympics’ and suggested he would therefore skip it.
The Australian star stated he wanted to feature at the Olympics properly with crowds and his guests present.
“If I’m to play the Olympics, I want to do it the right way,” Kyrgios explained.
“I want to do it with full crowds, with my guests there. I want to do it when I’m able to watch other athletes do their thing.
“That’s the Olympics for me. The Olympics, the way it’s going to go on, is not the Olympics.”
Before leaking his plans to play at Atlanta next, Kyrgios stated his intentions to feature at the ATP Tour 250 event.
The 26-year-old admitted it is his dream to play at the Olympic Games, but the restrictions at this year’s event have led him to consider his options.
He said: “Ever since I was a player, I wanted to compete at the Olympics, but I’ve also entered Atlanta as well.
“I’m tossing up my options at the same time.
“Whether or not – I’ve heard some things about the Olympics that are very tough, restrictions wise. No guests, none of that stuff.”
Source: Read Full Article