Leyton Orient fan who died at game was club’s ex-tannoy announcer

Leyton Orient have confirmed the man who died during their League One match against Lincoln City on Tuesday nigth was former stadium announcer Derek Reynolds. The 74-year-old became unwell during the match at Brisbane Road and required emergency medical attention.

Fans ended up storming the pitch to try and get the attention of the officials to stop the game. Around a dozen supporters sat cross-legged on the pitch in an attempt to bring the fixture to a halt.

The game was soon abandoned and was not restarted as it was confirmed the supporter had tragically passed away. Orient have since named the supporter as Derek, who worked closely with the club during the 1990s.

A club statement read: “Derek was a life-long O’s supporter and he lived in Osbourne Road, a short walk from the ground for many years. As well as being a lifelong fan, Derek was heavily involved in the club and managed the club’s tannoy system during the 1990s.”

Orient also confirmed they will pay tribute to Derek this weekend when they host Reading at Brisbane Road. The statement continued: “The club will be paying tribute to Derek at Saturday’s home fixture against Reading and his family have been invited to the game as guests of the club.

“A book of condolence will be available for supporters in the East Stand to sign on Saturday and it will then be available for all fans in West Stand reception thereafter. We would, once again, like to thank Derek’s fellow supporters for the way in which they conducted themselves on Tuesday night and acted to try and help the situation.”

Don’t miss…
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer spotted at DC United training ground after return hint[LATEST]
Roy Keane asks David Beckham ‘who the f*** buys that’ about odd Man Utd purchase[LATEST]
Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp demands Tottenham replay as VAR anger continues[LATEST]

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

A spokesperson for the London Ambulance service said: “We sent a number of resources to the scene, including an incident response officer, two medics in fast-response cars and an ambulance crew. Our first medic arrived in approximately four minutes.

“We treated a man at the scene, but very sadly, despite our teams’ best efforts, he was later pronounced dead.”

The EFL are yet to decide whether the game will be rescheduled or if the result at the time of the abandonment would stand. Orient were 1-0 up in the match before the game was abandoned after 82 minutes.

Source: Read Full Article