Manchester United include Antony in their 25-man Premier League squad as the forward stays away from the club on an indefinite leave of absence after assault allegations by three women
- Manchester United winger Antony is back in Brazil after assault allegations
- He is facing police investigations in Brazil and the UK but denies any wrongdoing
- United and Antony mutually agreed an indefinite leave of absence from the club
Manchester United have included Antony in their latest 25-man Premier League squad but the forward remains on an indefinite leave of absence from the club after assault allegations were made by three separate women.
Antony, who has denied any wrongdoing, is facing claims of domestic abuse, with police investigations opened in Brazil and the UK. He has not been arrested or charged and has promised to ‘come up with the evidence’ to prove the truth.
The winger was recently spotted near Sao Paulo, having flown to his homeland before being told he had been dropped for this month’s international fixtures. He is expected to stay in the country as he looks to defend himself against the claims.
DJ and influencer Gabriela Cavallin has alleged the footballer, who joined United for £85million last summer, assaulted her four times, while bank worker Ingrid Lana claimed she was pushed up against a wall in Manchester last September.
Both women have given TV interviews over the past week and alleged they were assaulted. The third accuser was named in Brazil as Rayssa de Freitas, meanwhile.
Manchester United have named winger Antony in their latest 25-man Premier League squad
DJ and influencer Gabriela Cavallin has made several allegations against the United forward
Ingrid Lana (left) has also accused Antony of assault, though the player denies any wrongdoing
Lana, 33, claimed she had been pushed up against a wall after travelling to Manchester to meet Antony for business and went on to dramatically allege on social media earlier this week that she could have died in the reported incident.
Following the latest allegation, Antony sought to clarify what happened during their encounter by publishing texts he claims they had shared, including one where the person messaging him told him, ‘if you want I’ll wait in bed naked’.
Posting the conversation on Instagram, he labelled his accuser ‘a fraudster’. Lana hit back, however, labelling Antony a liar and claiming he had fabricated the messages.
Antony, who delivered a TV interview of his own and has launched a staunch defence of himself, has insisted: ‘I know the truth and it will come out.’
On the subject of domestic violence, he said: ‘It’s totally wrong, 100 per cent wrong. I have a mother, a sister, and I would never want this to happen to them.
‘I’m 100 per cent sure I’ve never touched a woman, and I’ll come up with the evidence. People will see the truth. I have never assaulted and I will never assault.
‘I’m sure I’ve never committed physical violence.’
United confirmed in a statement that they were aware of the allegations against Antony and that it had been mutually agreed he would delay his return to the club.
Antony has been spotted relaxing at a pool in Sao Paulo as he delays his return to United
Antony posted four screengrabs of a conversation – supposedly with Lana – on Instagram
He is facing police investigations in Brazil and the UK but has not been arrested or charged
‘Manchester United acknowledges the allegations made against Antony,’ they said.
‘Players who have not participated in international matches are due back in training on Monday. However, it has been agreed with Antony that he will delay his return until further notice in order to address the allegations.
‘As a club we condemn acts of violence and abuse. We recognise the importance of safeguarding all those involved in this situation, and acknowledge the impact these allegations have on survivors of abuse.’
Antony has not been suspended and remains on full pay, with the decision on his leave reached after conversations between CEO Richard Arnold and Erik ten Hag.
A statement from the player read: ‘I have agreed with Manchester United to take a period of absence while I address the allegations made against me.
‘This was a mutual decision to avoid distraction to my team-mates and unnecessary controversy for the club.
‘I want to reiterate my innocence of the things I have been accused of, and I will fully cooperate with the police to help them reach the truth. I look forward to returning to play as soon as possible.’
Manchester United’s 25-man squad
Donny van de Beek
Source: Read Full Article