Mauricio Pochettino apologises to ref after storming on pitch at end of classic

It takes a big person to admit when they're in the wrong – and Mauricio Pochettino has held his hands up for his behaviour after the full-time whistle in Chelsea's 4-4 draw against Manchester City.

The Blues fought from behind to claim a share of the spoils at Stamford Bridge thanks to Cole Palmer's 95th-minute penalty. However, Pochettino didn't appear to have matched the home crowd's levels of excitement after he stormed toward referee Anthony Taylor and seemed to shout "What the f***?"

The Argentinian cut a furious figure as he moved towards Taylor in frustration after the referee blew for full-time just as Marc Cucurella looked to launch a final attack. The Spaniard had Raheem Sterling – who has already scored against his old club – for company further ahead, but Taylor felt the instant classic had run its course after 101 minutes.

READ MORE: Raheem Sterling fumes as Sky Sports reporter tries to get dirt out of Chelsea star's eye

READ MORE: Elated Chelsea fans warn team has 'woken up' as Cole Palmer comes back to haunt Man City

Speaking to reporters after the eight-goal extravaganza, Pochettino took a humble approach and admitted he was in the wrong for his reaction at the full-time whistle: "I need to apologise to Anthony and the officials, because in this moment I feel Raheem can go through, and in this moment I say 'what the. . .?'"

The South American was so distracted by the incident that he forgot to shake hands with City counterpart Pep Guardiola. And Pochettino didn't leave the Catalan out of his post-match apology.

Where will Chelsea finish in the Premier League this season? Let us know in the comments section below.

"I deserve to be booked," he added. "I apologise, but this type of behaviour is no good. I want to apologise to him also [Guardiola]. I was focused on the action."

And one can hardly blame the boss given just how much action there was. City superstar Erling Haaland grabbed two goals and an assist on the day, with team-mat Rodri led to believe he'd won the fixture in the 86th minute. However, Palmer had one last critical interventtion after Armando Broja was brought down in the City box.

Join the Daily Star's WhatsApp for the sexiest headlines, showbiz gossip and lots more

The Daily Star is now on WhatsApp and we want you to join us!

Through the app, we'll send you the sassiest showbiz stories, some naught headline and a seismic smattering of aliens…along with the latest breaking news of course.

To join our community, all you have to do to join is click on this link, select 'Join Chat' and you're in!

No one will be able to see who has sign up and no one can send messages except for the Daily Star team. We also treat our community members to competitions, special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners.

If you don’t like our community, you can check out any time you like. To leave our community click on the name at the top of your screen and choose Exit group. If you’re curious, you can read our Privacy Notice.


Thiago Silva pulled Chelsea back into the game before Sterling served them their first lead, and summer signing Nicolas Jackson equalised at 3-3 to keep the game alive. The showdown in west London wasn't without its controversy, either, with considerable time added on for the few VAR consultations that were required.

Both teams could perhaps be content with a share of the spoils, though Pochettino clearly didn't view it that way when the final whistle blew. The Blues boss deserved credit for addressing the matter later, however, as he and Chelsea enjoy a purple patch just as the international break threatens to disrupt their recent momentum.

Source: Read Full Article