New TV camera angle proves ball didn’t go out for Newcastle goal in Arsenal win

Mikel Arteta fumes at Newcastle’s winning goal against Arsenal

Newcastle United may feel vindicated in celebrating their 1-0 victory over Arsenal after a new TV camera angle appeared to show Anthony Gordon’s controversial match winner might well have been legal after all. A furious Mikel Arteta raged at the officials and VAR for their collective decision to award the goal after deciding that there was inconclusive evidence to rule out the goal, despite running three separate checks in the build-up to the goal.

The match’s most controversial moment came when Joe Willock picked up a loose ball that had spun wide of the Arsenal goal. It initially looked as if the ball had rolled over the line as the midfielder, positioned on the touchline on the left side of the pitch, ran towards the penalty area to send in a cross.

But play continued before Joelinton’s physical challenge on Gabriel forced the ball to fall into the path of Gordon and the forward swept home into an empty net after David Raya was caught out. There were also appeals for offside after it was claimed the ball struck Joelinton.

On all three counts, it was decided that VAR could not find a clear and obvious reason to chalk off the goal and referee Stuart Attwell signalled that it would stand. Hours after the game, a replay on beIN Sports showed that the entire ball did not cross the line.

READ MORE Arsenal boss Arteta left red-faced by VAR as tempers boil over in Newcastle loss[ANALYSIS]

  • Advert-free experience without interruptions.
  • Rocket-fast speedy loading pages.
  • Exclusive & Unlimited access to all our content.

It means Newcastle and PGMOL can relax knowing the right decision was made in that sense. However, the challenge on Gabriel and offside decision are subjective and therefore not quite as clear in determining whether the goal should have stood.

Arteta had slammed the officials’ decision to award the goal after the game, with the Spaniard labelling the decision an ‘absolute disgrace’, and described the incident as ’embarrassing’ for English football after the latest controversy in a long line of divisive VAR calls.

“We lose the match because of the clear and obvious decisions. It’s embarrassing. A disgrace. That’s what it is. A disgrace,” he told Sky Sports. “There’s so much at stake, we put so many hours. I am here to represent the football club and get my team competing at the highest level possible.

Bruno Guimaraes elbows Arsenal ace in the head before Declan Rice bust-up[WATCH]
Arsenal’s Havertz gets three Newcastle stars booked with foul to shut up Neville[REACTION]
Eddie Howe doubles down on foul-mouthed Ten Hag response ahead of Man Utd clash[NEWS]

“The margins are so small. It’s a disgrace, it’s embarrassing. That’s how I f eel and how everyone feels in that [dressing] room. You cannot imagine the amount of messages I got saying this cannot continue. It’s embarrassing. I have to be here now to say it is not acceptable.

“I don’t’ know how to feel. I am wasting my time. We are wasting our time. I don’t want to be in the hands of people. It’s difficult enough to compete against this team. It cannot continue. It’s embarrassing. There’s too much at stake. The consequences are too big.”

Newcastle boss Eddie Howe admitted he thought the goal would be disallowed after watching the referee’s reaction. But the 44-year-old insisted it was a ‘good goal’ from his side, praising their collective efforts after becoming the first team to beat Arsenal in the Premier League this season.

“With every VAR check that was going on we thought one would cost us in the end,” he said. “Initially I thought it was a good goal but I saw hesitation rom the referee. Obviously pleased goal was given, a good goal from our perspective.”

Source: Read Full Article