Police investigating alleged headbutt on Roy Keane during Arsenal vs Man Utd

Metropolitan Police are investigating an alleged assault on Roy Keane which took place during the Premier League match between Arsenal and Manchester United.

Arsenal news, exclusives and analysis

The incident occurred during the latter stages of Sunday’s clash just moments after Alejandro Garnacho appeared to give United a late lead only to see his effort ruled out for offside.

Keane and Micah Richards, on punditry duty for Sky Sports, were travelling from the studio down to pitch-side for post-match analysis when an altercation took place.

A member of the public is thought to have aimed a headbutt at Keane, catching him on the chin and chest.

The Athletic report the former Manchester United captain ‘was startled but did not react aggressively.’ Footage circulating online shows Richards confronting an unidentified man with Keane by his side.

A statement from the Metropolitan Police said no arrests have been made with enquires ongoing.

A statement said: ‘Police are investigating following an assault that is alleged to have occurred at the Emirates Stadium during an Arsenal v Manchester United match on Sunday, 3 September.’

Sky Sports have also released a statement on the incident. ‘We understand the police are investigating an alleged assault by a member of the public immediately preceding the footage circulating on social media. In the footage seen, Micah Richards was acting to defuse a situation.’

Arsenal meanwhile are cooperating with authorities with the investigation underway.

A club spokesperson said: ‘We are aware of an incident that took place during our match against Manchester United on Sunday.

‘The Metropolitan Police is conducting an investigation into the matter and we are fully cooperating with their enquiries.’

In a tense finale with the score tied at 1-1, Garnacho saw his 87th goal ruled out for offside, a decision slammed by United boss Erik ten Hag.

Declan Rice sparked jubilant celebrations at the Emirates in the fifth minute of added time, scoring his first goal for the club since his £105million summer move from West Ham United.

Gabriel Jesus added a third moments later.

For more stories like this, check our sport page.

Follow Metro Sport for the latest news on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Source: Read Full Article